Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
Help Calibrating Samsung HCN653W

RoboDan
New User

Oct 30, 2004, 3:25 PM

Post #1 of 1 (2892 views)
Shortcut
Help Calibrating Samsung HCN653W Can't Post

Hello everyone. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out here. I am trying to configure a Samsung HCN-653W Rear Projection HDTV for my parents to properly display a 16x9 1.78:1 image for playback on DVI Mode.

I use the Samsung HD-931 DVD Upconverter player to assist me in this. Sadly, I forgot my calibration disc at home, and I am relying on the THX Video Test found on the Star Wars DVD’s.

I have the service manual on hand for the Television, but it doesn’t really help on what the ideal settings for playback would be. (I’d figure it’s universal for each and every television of this make, since you’d want to have optimal viewing playback when watching movies, etc)

Now, I tinkered with the 1080i Offset settings within the HCN653W, and more or less have failed to find an equal distribution of image cutoff from either the top/bottom, or two sides of the screen. Also, when using the 16x9 Video test within the TXH Optimizer, the circle in the middle is fine, but the action safe/title safe areas now seem to have a ‘fish-eye’ look to it. I tried to reset to the factory default settings, but this case still exists.

I was wondering if anyone can please help out, either e-mailing me (r0b0dan@aol.com), or posting up here, on what settings I need to have to properly calibrate my TV. I know that this is some of your guys ‘bread and butter’, but I seriously do not have the funds right now to hire a TV tech, so he can charge me $500 to do a 10 min. job. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve been searching everyone online for some info on what are the ideal settings for each option in the service menu. (A lot of people seem to be successful in finding information on other models, but I have yet to find something for this model TV). Thank you very much.

--Daniel

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)