Mitsubishi 65" wont stay on Medallion Series modelWS-65611

Pawl
New User

Apr 26, 2010, 3:35 AM

Post #1 of 6 (9200 views)
Shortcut
Mitsubishi 65" wont stay on Medallion Series modelWS-65611 Can't Post

Mitsubishi 65" big screen Medallion Series #WS-65611 Manufactured Sept 2002
When I turn my TV on the green light next to the power button lights up for about 3 seconds and then goes out along with a clicking sound. I reset the system and it did not change anything.
I was carefully vacuuming the accumulated dust and found what I believe are two capacitors both labeled Nichicon 35V - 4700 pf that have some type of dried up material stuck between them.None of the other capacitors have this so I am thinking there is a leak.The material looks like dried up yellow foam that comes out of a can. The numbers on the board that appear to be correlating to these two capacitors are F9ao4 and F9ao5.If this is the problem how do I take those capacitors out. Do they twist,pull away,soldered? Thanks Paul
01/10/08 had convergence amplifier chip replaced - only preventative warranty repair ever done on TV other then annual cleaning maintenance.

(This post was edited by Pawl on Apr 27, 2010, 5:42 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 27, 2010, 12:16 AM

Post #2 of 6 (9178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pawl] Mitsubishi 65" wont stay on Medallion Series modelWS-65611 [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like glue or sealant to me - NOT leaking.Cool
4700ufd

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Apr 27, 2010, 12:16 AM)

Pawl
New User

Apr 27, 2010, 3:09 AM

Post #3 of 6 (9171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Mitsubishi 65" wont stay on Medallion Series modelWS-65611 [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked the material between the capacitors and it is dry and hard. Almost impossible to remove without damaging things. I also saw another post where someone suggested pressing the menu and device button at the same time to get a code related to the problem. I got blink blink pause and it did this 5 times. Dont know what it means still searching for the answer to this code. Any help would be appreciated.

Pawl
New User

Apr 27, 2010, 5:39 PM

Post #4 of 6 (9166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pawl] Mitsubishi 65" wont stay on Medallion Series modelWS-65611 [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this post (down below)yesterday after searching all day to find someone with the same problem as I have. Most of the posts describe a green blinking light and that was not what mine is doing.My 5 year warranty (annual cleaning and service) with Circuit City here in Calif was only used for 2 years because they went out of business. The last 3 years of the warranty were handled by an independant Tech who not only cleaned my unit but adjusted the picture which I did not know you could do.
When I found what I think the problem is I called this tech up and described the symptoms. He came back saying what he needs to fix it is what you will read down below. I can afford his quote of $350 because I am in the middle of the NBA playoffs and cant wait.I also called him back to tell him about running the error codes by pressing menu/device for 5 seconds and I got the blink blink pause 5 times which he said is error code 22 verifying this problem. If after this something goes wrong it will be time to buy something with newer technology. So for now I can start educating myself on what to buy next while I roll the dice on this repair.
I also told him about the dried up material between the two capacitors and he said the manufacturer put sealant there too hold the capacitors from getting damaged. I carefully cleaned all the dust out everywhere and looked at all the capacitors and didnt find any that were swollen or puffed up. I took the DM module out and the 7 capacitors looked fine so lets hope I get a few more years before the wheels fall of the bus. This will be the first repair I have had to pay for since I bought the TV in 2003.I will write a reply when the repair is finished. Thanks for everyones help thus far. This is a great site This is the post I found down below dated ---> November 13, 2007 6:01 PM

i had a tech come out .. i.m in maryland .. IC was fried .. he knew that cuz the two 5 amp pico fuses blown ............ cost me 350 .. 2002 model .. maybe high to some, but it.s up and workin' and i.m happy .. i didn.t find this site in time .. but so many talk DM .. when mine was the OTHER problem

don.t forget to wipe dust off lens with a soft cloth when done .......... like a new pic .. lol !!
problem was .. turn on, green light come on for 3 seconds, no pic and then shut off .. you could hear a click ..... when it shut off

(This post was edited by Pawl on Apr 27, 2010, 5:44 PM)

Pawl
New User

Apr 30, 2010, 12:39 PM

Post #5 of 6 (9152 views)
Shortcut

Repairman came out and replaced convergence amplifier chip - (I think thats what he called it) $350. I watched him do the repair which took him about 45 minutes. I have worked on a lot of things in my lifetime, car repair, motorcycles, construction but this was the first time working on a television. I pulled the DM module out myself to look it over. But after watching him do this repair and seeing him take things apart I would have been lost trying to fix my TV so for me personally it was money well spent. Keeping my fingers crossed it will work for a few years. I just wont put any more money into it. Next time it will be a new TV..

sdfjd57
New User

May 7, 2010, 12:29 AM

Post #6 of 6 (9134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Mitsubishi 65" wont stay on Medallion Series modelWS-65611 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.buyseriesdvd.com/...vd-box-set-p-28.html http://www.buyseriesdvd.com/...vd-box-set-p-34.html
http://www.buyseriesdvd.com/...vd-box-set-p-32.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)