Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
RCA P46924 TV Sound issue

Phnx444
New User

Jan 3, 2006, 5:19 PM

Post #1 of 12 (9945 views)
Shortcut
RCA P46924 TV Sound issue Can't Post

I have a RCA P46924, 46" rear projection TV which has been working perfectly with my Charter box until yesterday. The sound has gone to white noise, while the picture still works fine. I ran a cable direct to vid 2 input on the tv from the cable box with a rca connector and the sound works fine there as well as to vid 1 through the dvd player, but still not the the regular cable hook up. Tried a direct hookup to the wall and it still doesn't work (and the box works fine on another tv, so it isn't the cable box either I reckon). I don't have a manual, and it doesn't appear to be on the RCA site. I wondered if any of you might have an idea what has happened before I take off the back. Thanks.

Ed

Shocked

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2006, 1:48 AM

Post #2 of 12 (9895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Phnx444] RCA P46924 TV Sound issue [In reply to] Can't Post

These sets with that gemstar mod have a known problem however Thompsons fix is fairley simple, they say unplug it for a half hour to allow it to reset a e-prom. some times this realy works
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Phnx444
New User

Jan 17, 2006, 3:45 PM

Post #3 of 12 (9889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] RCA P46924 TV Sound issue [In reply to] Can't Post

You are da MAN! How cool is that? Worked like a charm. Thank you very much!

Phnx444
New User

Feb 15, 2006, 2:39 PM

Post #4 of 12 (9829 views)
Shortcut

Well. It worked great for a while. Now it's gone back to no sound again. I've tried to turn it off and on again, and my friend who works for the cable company said he had one that had the same issues and he had to keep doing that periodically. So far, no luck. Is there anything else that might work, or can one bypass the part that is causing it?

Btw, for a time, in order to use the PIP for the Superbowl party, I brought the main cable feed through a splitter out to the tv and the cable box, running the latter as afore mentioned, through rca cord through Vid2. I lost the 'On Demand' feature of my cable box in the process, and he told me to switch it back to use it. Would any of this have caused the situation with the sound to be more difficult to deal with?

Thanks for your time.

Ed

Bursma
User

Mar 3, 2006, 3:59 PM

Post #5 of 12 (9790 views)
Shortcut

The reason you're not getting sound is that there is some "junk" comming from one of the stations that is sending a message to the closed caption circuit to turn off the audio. There are 3 fixes: 1 - Unplugging the set for 15 minutes. (Recommended) 2 - Settiung the zip code in the set process to 00000 or 99999 (different reports on if this works or not, mostly not) 3 - Placing a 1uf @ 50v cap across the U13101 System Control IC with + lead on pin-15 of the Closed Caption input and the - lead on pin-30 (Ground). This swamps the closed caption data to
the micro and stops the reception of the defective data packet. In the event that later on they
resolve the defective data problem the capacitor can be removed. Obviously the closed caption feature will be crippled with this capacitor installed.

Phnx444
New User

Mar 4, 2006, 12:36 AM

Post #6 of 12 (9786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bursma] RCA P46924 TV Sound issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for your reply. You are a very nice person to have checked this out after this long.

Having re-read the earlier thread, I forgot to 'unplug' the set (goofy me kept turning it off, so unusual around here that I thought that was enough). Been working so far, though I had to do it several times at first to get it to work consistantly. As of now, though, it's been working for several weeks. Weird, wonder how long this will still work? Thus my question, thought it might help when I must find a repairman.

Guess this will all be immaterial once HD takes over. What does one do with one's old set (of which I have many) once this happens, turn them into security monitors (since they don't make very good computer monitors)?

Again, thank you very much!!

Bursma
User

Mar 6, 2006, 6:51 PM

Post #7 of 12 (9783 views)
Shortcut

Yep, 2009 is the year that digital television will take over. I havn't recieved them yet, but I am sure there will be some sort of digital tuner that will allow people to use their old sets. \

Stay tuned:)

vcrdr12
New User

Mar 12, 2006, 2:47 AM

Post #8 of 12 (9765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] RCA P46924 TV Sound issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Recieved thompson service update about 2 wks ago about all products

having audio problem apparently HD signal messes up audio.

nice huh?Crazy

un plug-re set eprom only work around Mad

set's up to 10yrs old and up- my phone ringing off the hook

you got some splaining to do thompsonTongue

TopTech
New User

Mar 19, 2006, 1:41 AM

Post #9 of 12 (9749 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like it might be the dreaded data overflow. Try removeing AC power to set for a few seconds and try again.Sly

iceman5121967
New User

May 6, 2006, 2:09 PM

Post #10 of 12 (9687 views)
Shortcut

ic of micpic3101 pin15 need to be unsolder but will lose cose.cap this is on ctc195 .ctc185.ctc203
ctc203 is as bad soledr in center of psb on trfromer hit flyback hozput.and go over the pcb.
iam a tech at quakertv 518-793-2284 bob.call if you need help iam rca.sony.phillps.deawoo
werrenty work

rcookie271
New User

Oct 22, 2008, 1:11 AM

Post #11 of 12 (9048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bursma] RCA P46924 TV Sound issue [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking for information; we have an RCA P46924 and the sound goes off the picture right now is okay however if we unplug the set the sound comes back on. It is becoming more frequent; is there a fix for this?
Appreciate any information that can be passed on.

iwillbackit
User

Jan 10, 2009, 7:59 AM

Post #12 of 12 (8887 views)
Shortcut

How cool you are.

buy cheap DVD

The Simpsons Seasons 1-19 DVD Boxset $200

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)