Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
Sony KP-61HS30 - HELP!

Puposky
New User

Dec 16, 2009, 4:52 PM

Post #1 of 13 (7826 views)
Shortcut
Sony KP-61HS30 - HELP! Can't Post

We have a Sony KP-61HS30, it has worked flawlessly for the past 7 years. Today we turned it on and the picture looks concave with double image. does this mean the projection lens just crapped out and does anyone know how much that is to fix? Do I just dump this TV and get a new one do to cost of this kind of repair? I have tried everything I know to fix it, looking online for help but I am guessing the lens just crapped out on us? Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 16, 2009, 8:31 PM

Post #2 of 13 (7824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Puposky] Sony KP-61HS30 - HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at pictures on this forum in regards to bad convergence (Brand/model doesn't matter) and see if any are similar to your symptom.Cool

-------------------------

Puposky
New User

Dec 16, 2009, 10:32 PM

Post #3 of 13 (7819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony KP-61HS30 - HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

Has nothing to do with bad convergence, best way we can describe it is: the picture looks concave or like looking in an empty bowl, it is bent inward and distorted from the inward bending of the picture. Thank you for the suggestion and help. Smile

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 17, 2009, 1:34 AM

Post #4 of 13 (7814 views)
Shortcut

OK. Try "Pincushion" then.Blush

Puposky
New User

Dec 17, 2009, 3:03 AM

Post #5 of 13 (7812 views)
Shortcut

good one - although perhaps a "shotgun" would be better. Crazy

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 17, 2009, 3:24 AM

Post #6 of 13 (7809 views)
Shortcut

Pick the one you mean...

OR

OR

OR

Puposky
New User

Dec 17, 2009, 4:36 AM

Post #7 of 13 (7805 views)
Shortcut

actually the picture on the TV looks like the first grid and I'll take the sawed off to shoot this damn thing!
Although the blonde is tempting..Ha-Ha Wink
I am guessing a board went bad in this thing, maybe a convergence board or something. can't seem to get anything out of Sony so I can figure it out, the engineer in me wants to solve it! Done a lot of reading tonight but can't diagnose without tech manuals etc.
we have had it for 7 years and it has been great - all the sudden - bam!

johnq22
New User

Dec 17, 2009, 8:39 AM

Post #8 of 13 (7800 views)
Shortcut

If its busted i suggest dumping it and picking up a 55' LED TV they are pricey but omg so worth it the picture quality is by far amazing.
LCD TV Buying Guide|Samsung LN55B650

Puposky
New User

Dec 17, 2009, 1:56 PM

Post #9 of 13 (7798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnq22] Sony KP-61HS30 - HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks John , yea I agree the picture quality is awesome. Ordered a kit to try and repair the TV, IC - STK's and pico fuses etc which was not horribly expensive. Took some time but we finally figured out what went wrong or that's what all the symptoms point to.

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 17, 2009, 10:16 PM

Post #10 of 13 (7796 views)
Shortcut

...IC - STK's and pico fuses etc ...

Back to convergence?
NOT Pincushion.Smile

Puposky
New User

Dec 17, 2009, 10:59 PM

Post #11 of 13 (7794 views)
Shortcut

It sounds that way, I was wrong, sorry. We are going to try this kit, if it doesn't work - well so be it. Frown
Last night we found an identicle symptom description/article with pictures and it led us to the kit, appears this kit works for some people in the past and it is 84 bucks total, so we went for it.
Althouhg in the end I might end up shooting it with that shotgun anyway! Laugh

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 1, 2010, 6:30 AM

Post #12 of 13 (7778 views)
Shortcut

Nobody can teach anybody anything, WE CAN ONLY HELP THEM THINK".
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
denonjapan
made in japan

easyab
New User

Feb 28, 2010, 4:32 AM

Post #13 of 13 (7706 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

SONY Convergence Faults simple if you are familiar with this type of TV Repair. It also helps to have In-Home Service experience and a known good source of IC's. Mechanically adjusting CRTs will require re-alignment.

First step is to confirm that you have a convergence fault with the Convergence Gallery at : http:Calgary.ConvergenceRepair.Com/gallery.asp (or Toronto.ConvergenceRepair.com, Vancouver, etc.)

Identify your specific fault (Red Vert, Blue Hor, etc.) using the customer menu and controls on your TV.

1. Open up the TV, Access the bottom of the correct PC board without doing damage.

2. Change the convergence IC's, check for defective resistors. Change if required.

3. Re-install board. Electronics Repair is Complete! Clean lens and minor adjust if required.

If you are a rookie and attempt repair, it is likely the TV will end up as scrap. Most "internet" ICs are erzatz (artificial and inferior substitute or imitation) and of no use. Blogs have been taken over by sellers of DUD ICs, telling you how easy it is to repair.

Soldering the STK 392 ICs and dis-assembly of the chassis and accessing the board are tasks that require a certain level of skill. Technical training and years of experience really pay off in this area. Identifying and dealing with secondary faults is also a specialized skill.

Many convergence help requests start with "I got some ICs Online, changed them and TV is dead or worse than before".

Of course you can get a "Kit" with substitute ICs and resistors all of different values from original. Not necessary and only creates more potential problems. New Internet ICs are probably DUD and resistor replacement job is rarely required with Sony TVs. One of the biggest problems is doing a good job soldering. Sony have tiny thin film components in the area you are working at the bottom of the ICs. Touching or coming close to these components will cause no picture or other convergence problems. Recognising and fixing these problems is almost impossible for a rookie.

Poor design of RPTV with STK ICs is a an urban myth created by incompetent servicers. IC failure is caused by Power Line Noise, Lightning Strikes, overheating and collisions with vacuum cleaners.

If you want to watch the TV again, get local service support. Inquire with a description of your trouble, if you do not get an instant recognition of the problem and a specific quote for the job, call someone else. Any shop that offers to do a service call for estimate (send a kid to pick it up) is either just starting in the business or trying to run your repair up to $300 - $600.

easyab
http://calgary.convergencerepair.com/index.asp

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)