Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
TV Question! Please help!

courtneycat
New User

Sep 28, 2006, 10:48 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2404 views)
Shortcut
TV Question! Please help! Can't Post

Alrighty, well I need some advice on a television I have just purchased. First off, it's a good brand (Mitsubishi) and it's a MONSTER television (73"). It has DLP technology and is HD integrated. Which, my understanding was, meant that there was an HD tuner inside of it that would convert the signal on basic channels to an HD picture-quality image. My TV's image quality, however, SUCKS, and I don't know what to do about it. My TV does NOT look like the ones at the store, and I'm worried that I've been suckered in here.

So then, I called up and asked them what I could do. They told me I was 30 miles away from the nearest HD signal tower, which may be part of it. They suggested I go and purchase an HD amplified antennae at Best Buy/Radio Shack/whatever. I did this and installed it. Did no good.

Finally, I talked to my satellite company about purchasing HD, which means they would have to come out and install a new dish for $300 and yadda yadda yadda. And then, of course, it would only work on SOME channels, not ALL channels. And it raises the question: is my TV picture quality still going to be crappy when I'm watching a DVD?

This all seems ridiculous. I would really just like a good picture quality and it seems like I can't get it with the current size of my TV. Should I exchange it for something smaller? Should I go the plasma route? They had talked me out of plasma because it spikes your electric bill, may suffer burnout, and basically has not yet become a perfected technology. Plus, my limit is $3,000 -- which is what this big monster cost.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm no TV guru, obviously, but I would just like a TV with a GREAT picture quality -- size isn't really the issue, but I'd like to be around 50" or higher.

techchris
Veteran

Sep 29, 2006, 9:14 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [courtneycat] TV Question! Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

what did it look like in the showroom?also dont sit too close to a beast this size. If its not the same as the showroom model ask for a tech to call out and check it out.For 3K I would think thats the least they could do for you.Connecting a dvd through component input should give you a pretty good picture.If it does'nt then the set may be faulty.

MOtvGuy
User

Oct 14, 2006, 9:55 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [courtneycat] TV Question! Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, anyone telling you a set can convert a standard NTSC signal to HD quality is either underhanded or poorly informed. From my experience, regardless of brand or format, any standard signal being up-converted to run the the HD mode looks like crap.

Problem number 2. When you go to a screen size like you're running you're going to notice, in vivid detail, any antennae,cable,satellite signal defiencies in your system. The reason the picture on the salesfloor is often NOT what you see when you get the set home is because they're usually using a piped in signal with an optimum setup. If the retailers would use a standard cable or antennae signal like most people have in their home, they'd probably sell half the sets they do today. Many, many service calls run by the major retailers involve customers unhappy with the picture quality of their LCD, DLP or Plasma set that looked good on the salesfloor but terrible in their home.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)