Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
so dvds on hi def tvs looking bad is normal?

scurvy1
New User

May 31, 2005, 6:26 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1710 views)
Shortcut
so dvds on hi def tvs looking bad is normal? Can't Post

i've had 2 tvs in the past week.. a jvc 61 inch DLP.. and now a Sony 60inch rear projection LCD.. on both tvs dvds look just about identical.. i've heard so many people talk about how awesome dvds look on their big screens, but i just dont see how that can be. I see lots of artifacts, and an overall blurry look. Nowhere near the quality of a dvd on a CRT tv. I've hooked 3 different dvd players including a samsung 'HD' dvd player up to the tvs with every kind of connection possible, including HDMI and they all looked exactly the same (composite and s-video aside)

maybe its just the big size? 60inches is pretty big and i guess the picture is getting stretched and whatever.. guess i will have to wait for hd dvds to be happy.. just wondering about your guys experiences with dvds on big tvsUnimpressed

TANK1
Enthusiast

May 31, 2005, 2:15 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scurvy1] so dvds on hi def tvs looking bad is normal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you turn on/engage the progressive scan feature on the dvd player?

To get 480p out of a dvd player you need to engage the progressive scan and connect to the set by dvi/hdmi or component video connections.

How close are you sitting to your set?

Have you used AVIA or any other calibration dvd to set up your set?

scurvy1
New User

May 31, 2005, 5:07 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] so dvds on hi def tvs looking bad is normal? [In reply to] Can't Post

yep i've turned on progressive scan.. and i'm a good distance from my tv but for example HD HBO looks amazing.. dvds look much worse.. not sure what AVIA is.

TANK1
Enthusiast

May 31, 2005, 8:05 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scurvy1] so dvds on hi def tvs looking bad is normal? [In reply to] Can't Post

AVIA is a basic calibration dvd.It helps set the contrast,sharpness,brightness,color and tint levels on your set.It also has many more tests you can use on your set as you get use to it.The dvd also helps set speaker levels for home threater speakers.

The dvd is a step by step on how to do the tests,Once you have watched the dvd the tests are real easy to do.

AVIA costs about $40.I use my AVIA dvd about 4-5 times a year to check the tv settings.Try www.deepdiscountdvd.com

The last thing I can think of is to connect the dvd player to cables you are using to see HBO.If you have cable unhook the cable box and hook up the dvd player.The idea is to get the dvd player connected to cables you viewed HBO on.Then you will know whatis the weak link.

Since HBO is good,then the tv set is good,and whatever cable (dvi or component)you are using to get that picture is good also.When you connect the dvd player to the same cable the picture from the dvd should as good as HBO.Hope this makes sense.

(This post was edited by TANK1 on May 31, 2005, 8:06 PM)

scurvy1
New User

Jun 1, 2005, 2:41 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] so dvds on hi def tvs looking bad is normal? [In reply to] Can't Post

ah, well with the cable box the hd channels looked like shit, but i have a cable card now and they look good.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)