Panasonic DVD-S35 stops working suddenly while on

sp7
New User

Mar 22, 2007, 6:15 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3022 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic DVD-S35 stops working suddenly while on Can't Post

Hello Everyone,

I just found this forum and hope someone can give me info or help.

In Oct. 2003 I bought a Panasonic DVD/CD player model DVD-S35. It was working fine 'til last night when the first episode of a 2 episode DVD ended. As soon as the 1st episode ended, the machine suddenly turned itself off-- of course I had expected it to just continue to the 2nd episode. When I turned on the machine with the DVD still inside, it was on for ~ 2 seconds and then shut itself off. Same pattern over and over even when I was able to get the DVD out and test it with another DVD--> same problem: machine just turns itself off.

Today I called Panasonic. The man helping me told me to push 3 buttons at the same time to initialize the unit. That didn't work. Then he wanted me to check the sleep mode. [Perhaps I had turned it on with the poorly designed, too-much-in-such-a-tiny-area remote control.] But checking that didn't help either.

The owner's manual trouble shooting section has nothing about this problem and no error codes appear on the machine's display window.

Has anyone else had this same problem? I'm no electronics expert, but if I open the case up and look around, is there anything not-so-complicated that I should inspect or test?

I read a brief webpage report about some problem similar to this one and a guy said he fixed the same unit as mine by opening up the case and pushing on or fooling with some white spindle. Does the problem of my machine seem to be serious or something simply fixed by pushing on a spindle? If something else is indicated by the symptom, what could be wrong?

If I can't fix this myself, does this sound like a costly commercial repair?

Thanks

techchris
Veteran

Mar 22, 2007, 7:13 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sp7] Panasonic DVD-S35 stops working suddenly while on [In reply to] Can't Post

the motor spindle used to give trouble on Panasonic DVD players.does it switch off with no disc in the tray or only in play mode?Most DVD's cost more to fix than buying a new one these days.

sp7
New User

Mar 23, 2007, 3:37 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Panasonic DVD-S35 stops working suddenly while on [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the motor spindle used to give trouble on Panasonic DVD players.does it switch off with no disc in the tray or only in play mode?

With no disc in the tray, the machine stays on. What does this mean then? Does it mean the motor that spins the disc is shot?

sp7
New User

Mar 23, 2007, 4:54 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Panasonic DVD-S35 stops working suddenly while on [In reply to] Can't Post

I fixed it according to what a guy in another DVD repair forum told me to try. He told me this:

"Sounds like the typical spindle motor problem. More than likely motor has developed an internal short & causing the immediate shut down--may even be the drive IC that controls it.

If the motor, you just MAY be able to dislodge it by loading a disc & try rotating it by hand in both direction a few times (if you heard a clicking sound while doing so, the motor is definitley SHOT)

& if unsuccessful, I can tell you that it is not worth replacing the motor ."

With the cover off but laying over the top, I turned on the machine, put in a disc and the machine turned itself off. Then I unplugged the machine, and hand spun the disc in both directions. No clicking sounds- good! Plugged in machine, and tested it. It works! So I screw down the cover and have again a working DVD player. [I hope it remains a working one.]

Cool

techchris
Veteran

Mar 23, 2007, 9:20 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sp7] Panasonic DVD-S35 stops working suddenly while on [In reply to] Can't Post

good. but my guess is that it will stick again needing a new motor spindle.

rrobor
Veteran

Mar 29, 2007, 10:47 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Sony came out with a fix for this type of problem, unhook the spin motor, under it you will find a small hole into the bottom bearing. Hitch the motor up to a power source at about twice voltage and run a few minuits flat out backwards whilst squiting one squirt of CRC in the hole. The motor should speed up. After a couple of minuits put 1 drop of oil in the hole and run for a minuit or so. rebuild unit. Personally this has never failed for me, only time it fails is if the servo IC has cooked trying to drive the motor. If your motor is left with that clogged bottom bearing it will not last and will destroy the servo.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)