Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: DVD Repair Forum:
Can DVD recorders do everything VCRs used to?

RussLA
New User

Sep 30, 2009, 5:40 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1778 views)
Shortcut
Can DVD recorders do everything VCRs used to? Can't Post

Since my VCR will only record analog signals, I need to get a DVD recorder. I would like it to be able to do the same things my VCR used to do, especially record programs off TV, where you program the machine to record several programs on different channels during the day while you're gone.

(I don't yet have a digital TV, but plan to get one soon. I have no idea what to get, but that's for another forum. I don't have cable TV and don't plan to get it. I have an antenna on the roof.)

I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee, so Tivo and its equivalents are out. From looking at the Consumer Reports website, it appears there aren't a lot of choices in DVD recorders. The one they recommend as the best choice is the Philips DVDR3576H/37, which is a hard-disk recorder.

Do most DVD recorders have timers that you can pre-program like a VCR? I never see that mentioned in the description of these machines. Do they have slow-motion? Freeze-frame?

Any recommendations on what unit to get?

techchris
Veteran

Sep 30, 2009, 7:54 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] Can DVD recorders do everything VCRs used to? [In reply to] Can't Post

dont buy philips unless you want years of grief and trouble. Panasonic with hard drive 160-250 Gbs has everything you need. timers work the same on DVD as VCR and freeze frame slow motion etc etc.

RussLA
New User

Oct 1, 2009, 4:58 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Can DVD recorders do everything VCRs used to? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. What do you think of Toshiba DVD recorders? In particular the DR570? It got good reviews on Amazon (35 reviews, average 4 out of 5 stars).

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)