Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: DVD Repair Forum:
Need help setting up DVD player with old TV

RussLA
New User

Feb 23, 2017, 6:31 AM

Post #1 of 5 (7837 views)
Shortcut
Need help setting up DVD player with old TV Can't Post

Back in September 2009, I got some great help from jts1957 when I was helping a friend set up his DVD player with an old TV. Now I need the same kind of help for setting up my own DVD player (not a recorder, just a player) with my very old TV (at least 30 years old).

I found the thread from the 2009 exchange, and I have a hunch the key to the problem may be that I need an RF Modulator, but I don't know.

Since over-the-air TV signals are now digital, I have a converter box that converts the broadcasters' digital signal to analog for my TV.

The DVD player I bought is a Sony, model DVP-SR210P. It's only a player, not a recorder. I'm using the red, white and yellow RCA connectors, which I have connected to the red/white/yellow connectors on the converter box. (There are no red/white/yellow connectors on the TV.)

By the way, I have a VCR connected to the converter box using the red/white/yellow RCA plugs, and it works fine with the TV.

When I connect the DVD player to the converter box with the red/white/yellow RCA plugs, I'm getting the audio but no video. In the setup instructions, it tells you to activate INPUT on the TV. My old TV does not have anything like that.

Do I need an RF Modulator? Or is there something else I need to do? And does this sound like something that can be solved?

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

Russ

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 23, 2017, 8:47 AM

Post #2 of 5 (7830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] Need help setting up DVD player with old TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Brands & model numbers of tv & converter box?

-------------------------

RussLA
New User

Feb 23, 2017, 9:17 AM

Post #3 of 5 (7825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Need help setting up DVD player with old TV [In reply to] Can't Post

TV: Mitsuba, model 3700S; has date of Aug. 1981 on back

Digital converter box: Tivax, model STB-T8

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 23, 2017, 6:08 PM

Post #4 of 5 (7813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] Need help setting up DVD player with old TV [In reply to] Can't Post

The DVD player I bought is a Sony, model DVP-SR210P. It's only a player, not a recorder. I'm using the red, white and yellow RCA connectors, which I have connected to the red/white/yellow connectors on the converter box. (There are no red/white/yellow connectors on the TV.)

You are connecting the OUTPUT of the DVD player to the OUTPUT of the converter box.

By the way, I have a VCR connected to the converter box using the red/white/yellow RCA plugs, and it works fine with the TV.

You have the OUTPUT of the converter box connected to the INPUT of the VCR. VCR supposedly then connects to TV via its RF Out connector and TV is tuned to Ch. 3 (or 4). You don't specify VCRs make/model so I'm going with standard RF In & Out connectors, and with (at least) one set of A/V In & Out jacks.

OPTIONS:
1) You should be able to connect the OUTPUT of the DVD player to the same INPUT connector as you had the converter box on the VCR. To avoid having to manually unplug and plug in the actual wires something along the lines of: http://www.ebay.com/...Stereo-/302223813417
2) As you said an RF Modulator would also work (lesser quality result). (VCR remains connected to TV & converter box as above.) The DVD player would connect to its RCA INPUT and the RF Output would go to VCRs RF INPUT. VCR would then be switched to A/V INPUT (for converter) or to channel 3 (or 4) (for DVD player).

BTW - you will be 'hearing' the Monophonic version of Stereo, but still plug in both L & R jacks.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 23, 2017, 6:24 PM)

RussLA
New User

Feb 23, 2017, 8:16 PM

Post #5 of 5 (7793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Need help setting up DVD player with old TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Using your suggestions, I got it to work. In case you're interested, details below.

You're right--I had the OUTPUT of the DVD player connected to the OUTPUT of the converter box.

You're right again--I have the OUTPUT of the converter box connected to the INPUT of the VCR. And the VCR connects to TV via its RF Out connector. TV is tuned to Ch. 3. VCR brand is Go Video, dual-deck, model DDV3110.

On the VCR, there happen to be two sets of A/V INPUT jacks, one on front and one on back. I use the front jacks for the VCR. So today, using a second set of red/white/yellow A/V cables, I connected the A/V OUTPUT jacks on the DVD player to the rear A/V INPUT jacks on the VCR and I specified "DVD" in the on-screen setup menu for the VCR. In addition, under the VCR's "Record/Edit" settings, I set both decks to "DVD."

It didn't even occur to me that I could use the VCR as a through-put, but since its menus include "DVD" as an option, it makes sense.

Thanks for your help once again. I really appreciate it.

Russ

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)