Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: DVD Repair Forum:
Setting up new DVD player

RussLA
New User

Sep 18, 2009, 10:58 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Setting up new DVD player Can't Post

I have a friend whose DVD player broke down. He's tried two different new ones but hasn't been able to get either one to work. He has an old TV (no RCA connectors). He says he gets only snow when he tries to play a DVD. I've only talked to him on the phone so I haven't seen his setup.

Is there some kind of set-up menu on the DVD player he needs to go through? Or something else he needs to do?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 18, 2009, 11:11 PM

Post #2 of 13 (2483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] Setting up new DVD player [In reply to] Can't Post

Did his first DVD player use his TV's antenna / cable connector directly or via an RF Modulator?
Most of today's DVD players (even DVD/VHS combos) ONLY have RCA plugs for outputting a signal (Component and Composite).Wink

-------------------------

RussLA
New User

Sep 18, 2009, 11:28 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Setting up new DVD player [In reply to] Can't Post

He says his old DVD player had a direct connection to his TV antenna. However, he does have a modulator box, but he said the antenna does not go into that. He has the modulator box connected to the DVD player via RCAs.

I apologize for the confusing description. It was a little hard to understand exactly what he was saying.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 18, 2009, 11:58 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2478 views)
Shortcut

The antenna will NOT connect up to today's DVD players, they No Longer have built-in RF modulators. I AM presuming you DO mean "Players" (NOT recorders).
To "play DVD's" he has to take the Video/Left/Right out of the DVD Player and connect them to his R.F. Modulator box. The Box's RF OUTPUT then connects to the TV's antenna jack. The Antenna then connects to the RF Modulators Antenna INPUT jack.Smile

RussLA
New User

Sep 19, 2009, 12:22 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Yes, it's just a "player," not a recorder.

Thanks. I'll pass along the info to him. What kept puzzling me by what he said was the lack of connection between the RF modulator and the TV.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 19, 2009, 12:32 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2474 views)
Shortcut

The TV needs to get a signal from the DVD when modulator is "ON." And from antenna when the modulator is "OFF."

RussLA
New User

Sep 19, 2009, 12:37 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Makes sense. Thanks for the great explanations.

RussLA
New User

Sep 20, 2009, 4:30 AM

Post #8 of 13 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Well, I went up to my friend's house but we couldn't get the DVD player to work. All we got was pure snow. He has an old analog TV, which he does not watch, so he does not have a DTV converter box. Is that the problem? Does he need that converter box?

He used to have cable TV, but canceled his subscription a few years ago. So I don't know if he even has any kind of regular antenna (he didn't even know himself). Will he need at least rabbit ears?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 20, 2009, 3:48 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2458 views)
Shortcut

No he does not need a DTV box to watch a DVD, but the TV and the RF Modulator MUST be on the same channel (usually ch.3 or ch.4).Wink
To watch TV stations he WILL need some type of antenna AND the DTV Box.Unimpressed

RussLA
New User

Sep 20, 2009, 9:49 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2455 views)
Shortcut

Yes, we had the RF Modulator and the TV both set to Channel 3.

I brought the DVD player home (it's just a player, not a recorder) to see if I could make it work with my TV. It won't work for me either. Here's a link to the setup I used (scroll down to see the diagram): http://columbiaisax.googlepages.com/diagrams_dtv_rf.htm The only difference is that I have audio cables connecting my DTV box with my VCR, that you helped me with. I also tried it without the VCR in the chain but no luck there either. The DVD player responds to the Play, Pause, Stop buttons (I can tell by the behavior of the counter), but I can't get a menu to display. I've tried every button on the remote, but nothing displays on-screen. By the way, the unit is the Sony DVP-SR200P.

One other thing just occurred to me. The RF modulator has a jack for a DC 9V 100mA power supply but my friend said he's never had a power supply for it. And I even bought a different model today (the RCA model that has 4 inputs and 1 output) to see if that would solve the problem. That one also had a jack for that same power supply but no adapter came in the box. Do these things need their own power? It has an "On" light, but the light doesn't come on. (Actually, I read several reviews of this product and several people said the unit was dead right out of the box.)

(This post was edited by RussLA on Sep 20, 2009, 10:41 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 20, 2009, 10:41 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2451 views)
Shortcut

YES! They need POWER!Angelic Watch polarity! 100ma - a battery would work for a test.

RussLA
New User

Sep 21, 2009, 12:50 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2446 views)
Shortcut

That was it--just needed power. Talk about a comedy of errors and coincidences.

I went over to Fry's just now to get a power adapter, but they didn't have the one I needed. So I found another RF modulator with a built-in power cord and bought it. Then when I got home and was about to open it up, I noticed a little square white box that had come in the package of the multi-port RF modulator I had bought earlier today. I hadn't noticed it before. So I plugged it in and it worked!

The coincidence that threw me for a loop was that my friend had been using his RF modulator without a power cord on his old machine, which was a combination VCR/DVD player that recently broke down. From what you said, I bet that machine had its own internal RF modulator and so the external unit that he thought was doing the job wasn't even working. Talk about a red herring.

His RF modulator uses the same power adapter as the one that I just found, so I tried that adapter in his modulator and his works fine too.

I knew it had to be just one little thing. Thanks for all your help again. You've bailed me out twice now.

nickyrash
New User

Nov 17, 2009, 9:04 AM

Post #13 of 13 (2392 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the useful information

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)