As Analoge as it can get please

mactube
New User

Feb 15, 2016, 11:45 AM

Post #1 of 8 (7987 views)
Shortcut
As Analoge as it can get please Can't Post

I'm brand new here..
since I was always a loyal customer ( shut up and pay) of Time Warner I never had a reason to question anything but my bills ..lately.
Since I have not been watching TV lately I figured I will just let them shut off the service until all issues are resolved ( I only had basic TV anyway.

.. well now I fell like I do want to watch some 1 or 2 programs here and there.

The TV is now hooked up to a little cable box ( CiscoDTA 170AD)

I have heard , that with a "converter box " i can receive some regular channels . Is that true and if yes which box can I use ?

(Sorry I now I'm in the digital part of this form .. I'm all for digital .. but some times in you life you have to go all analoge if you forces to lol )

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 15, 2016, 5:58 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mactube] As Analoge as it can get please [In reply to] Can't Post

mactube;...

IF the TV is an older TV that will only pick up analog channels , you will need a "Digital to Analog" converter..
That type of converter coupled with an antenna will get all medium to strong local over the air TV channels..
They are relatively cheap & should be just about everywhere..

From what I can see , the cable box ( CiscoDTA 170AD) will give you a digital output only..
IF you were to connect a "Digital to Analog" converter at the output of that cable box , you should get all the cable channels converted over to chan 3 or 4 on your analog TV..

I'm not familiar with Time Warner , so , I cant tell you if you can just plug in direct...
A brand name & model number of the TV you are using WILL help...

Hope this helped...

You're welcome...Smile...

Later...Ron.M...Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

mactube
New User

Feb 15, 2016, 10:46 PM

Post #3 of 8 (7943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] As Analoge as it can get please [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks @Ron.M

I should have made my issue more clear.. I’m actually just trying to get some channels ( what ever I can get ) with the service of my provider ( time warner)
Being suspended. It doesn’t really matter if digital or analog .. I just named the head line that way because the section is called “ Digital TV Forum”

I actually have a fairly new TV ( Samsung ,1080, 3D.. maybe 4 years old) . I thought the only signal I maybe able to pick up without service form the cable company would be though the Antenna Cable going into some kind of box which I then connect to the TV!?

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 16, 2016, 5:51 PM

Post #4 of 8 (7936 views)
Shortcut

mactube;....

OK , that clears things up nicely...

Since you have a 4 year old TV , it has a digital tuner already built in..

Disconnect the cable box..
It is useless...
A Digital to Analog Converter is NOT needed with your TV...

Your only options are to hook up either a set of rabbit ears , get one of those premium indoor antennas or install an outdoor antenna ...
When you do one of those 3 , scan your TV for channels & hope for the best...

Hope this helped...

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 16, 2016, 5:55 PM)

mactube
New User

Feb 17, 2016, 4:20 AM

Post #5 of 8 (7926 views)
Shortcut

thanks @Ron.M
oh wow so I have to go real old school now and catch the signal out of the air ..

does that mean, than I will have snowy pictures like back in the day with a black and white TV ?

So there is defiantly no way where I can get any kind of signal out of the cable antenna ?

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 17, 2016, 5:59 PM

Post #6 of 8 (7921 views)
Shortcut

mactube;...

They shut OFF your service , so you most likely WILL get NADA , NOTHING , ZILCH from ANY cable box you hook up to their line !!!..
Your ONLY options are what I told you , "old school" or new school...

does that mean, than I will have snowy pictures like back in the day with a black and white TV ?

You may NOT see ANYTHING or hear ANYTHING as most flat panel TVs mute pix & sound when the signal IS weak or nonexistent...
IF you live in the boonies that's what you'll get...
IF you live IN or CLOSE to a city that has over-the-air TV stations , you may get lucky & pick up a channel or two with a decent indoor antenna..

Sorry bout dat !!!

Good Luck...

Have a nice day...Wink...

Later...Ron.M...Cool...may

mactube
New User

Feb 17, 2016, 9:37 PM

Post #7 of 8 (7913 views)
Shortcut

@Ron.M thanks so much.. this information saves me a lot of time.. I will have to go new school digital again ..
Thx

mactube
New User

Mar 10, 2016, 2:44 AM

Post #8 of 8 (7849 views)
Shortcut

I don't like to see alot of cables, so I didn't get an external antenna .. even though I don't watch alot of TV .. an old school antenna might have really defeated eh purpose of having a 46" 1080 LED 3D with Dolby surround blue ray entertainment system .. so I had to get the basic cable with Time warner connected for 10 bucks/ month .. almost 10 bucks in Fees ( the everlasting problem with Time warner
their fees / taxes are 30% to 90% on top of their price.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)