Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
Digital TV Antenna Info Needed

BillT
New User

Dec 10, 2008, 3:28 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2555 views)
Shortcut
Digital TV Antenna Info Needed Can't Post

I recently set up my new converter box (RCA DTA 800) and I am receiving a decent signal using my old good quality set of GE Rabbit Ears now, but it is not good enough.
I am looking into buying an ANT 2000 RCA Smart Antenna, but the reviews I have read are 50-50. Half of the people love it and half are disappointed in it.
I am trying to find out if there is something better out there to buy instead without it costing multi-hundreds.
I am in the country about 25 miles away from the TV Stations.
Would really like an indoor antenna if I can get one to work, but will be willing to go to an outside antenna as long as I can make it safe from lightning, but only if I have to.
Any info would be appreciated.
Bill

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 12, 2008, 2:43 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillT] Digital TV Antenna Info Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't recommend any of the amplified indoor type. it only works on highrises in the city. There are affordable at frys.com or radioshack, outdoor type running about $40-50 the most ideal for your location and can reach within 60 miles away from the stations.

denonjapan
made in japan

BillT
New User

Dec 13, 2008, 3:42 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Digital TV Antenna Info Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll check them out. Appreciate the info.
Bill

techman540
User

Dec 22, 2008, 5:35 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Personally I would not use a indoor antenna being so far away from the TV stations. I would recommend you using a mid range VHF/UHF antenna with a rotor. You would be able to point the antenna from indoors with this. You will have the best luck with strong enough signals for these stations. In most cases you will be able to program the controller for the channels desired. this should cost you no more than 150 dollars. Make sure to ground the mast and cable coming before it enters into the home.

Motosat dealer
RV Internet

BillT
New User

Dec 22, 2008, 6:09 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techman540] Digital TV Antenna Info Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Appreciate the reply. The biggest thing making me hesitant from using an outside antenna is lightning. Is there any way that I could just about gaurantee an installation to be safe from lightning?
We do get some powerful lightning storms around here. Also is there any sites out there explaining the installation of a lightning proof antenna?
Bill

techman540
User

Dec 22, 2008, 5:25 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2511 views)
Shortcut

You know there is really no 100% way of saying the antenna will not get struck by lighting. There is alot of ways to install it though with safety in mind. http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmig8.htm I would read over this. We install them all the time outside and never hear of them getting struck by lighting

Motosat dealer
RV Internet

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)