Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
Portable generator causing digital reception interference

bj1k
New User

Feb 12, 2014, 6:50 PM

Post #1 of 4 (7579 views)
Shortcut
Portable generator causing digital reception interference Can't Post

My portable generator is setup and grounded in my back garage and unfortunately it is in the same direction of my regular digital antenna and it is causing breakup of reception on most of my TV channels. My question is , what can I do to the generator to shield it from interfering with the digital signal ? I was thinking about a barrier lined with aluminum foil in front of and above the generator. Any thoughts or past experience would be appreciated.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 12, 2014, 7:58 PM

Post #2 of 4 (7577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bj1k] Portable generator causing digital reception interference [In reply to] Can't Post

Put your generator in a concrete vault 30 feet (or more) underground lined in lead. You can use one of those metal fresh air / exhaust fireplace flues.
You could also do the reverse. Live in the vault and have generator above ground.Wink

-------------------------

bj1k
New User

Feb 12, 2014, 11:43 PM

Post #3 of 4 (7570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Portable generator causing digital reception interference [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we all had our laugh, how about someone with a mature serious answer !

flyatyou66
User

May 27, 2014, 5:05 PM

Post #4 of 4 (7226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bj1k] Portable generator causing digital reception interference [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/interf.htm
I found this artical, it might help it might not.

I'll keep looking. By the way is it possible to get make and model of portable generator?

(This post was edited by flyatyou66 on May 27, 2014, 6:13 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)