Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
can't record one while watching another...

goa_gerbil
New User

Mar 7, 2007, 10:49 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2914 views)
Shortcut
can't record one while watching another... Can't Post

My father-in-law recently bought a TV with built-in Freeview and had an antenna rigged up to receive digital and analogue signals. I have an old analogue TV with a separate Freeview box and a DVD recorder with an analogue tuner. I can record one (analogue) channel while watching another, play ‘catchup’, replay a program while recording another, etc. He wanted to do the same but when he went to buy a DVD recorder at a local retailer he was told he wouldn’t be able to record one channel while watching another, etc. with a digital setup. Was the advice correct and if not, what does he need to be able to record one digital channel while watching another? Oh, and he doesn't want to subscribe to Sky!

techchris
Veteran

Mar 8, 2007, 10:10 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goa_gerbil] can't record one while watching another... [In reply to] Can't Post

He should have bought a dvd recorder with a built in freeview tuner ie panasonic. thats the only way you can record one channel and watch a different one on the tv as the tv only has one digital tuner which obviously is feeding the tv screen. Its a big problem on digital tv's which few salesman seem capable of understanding.

goa_gerbil
New User

Mar 8, 2007, 11:30 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] can't record one while watching another... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that makes sense. Luckily, he didn't buy the DVD recorder so now he can go fore-armed with some knowledge. Thanks again.

[Added ~ confusingly, I've also been told that he would need a second antenna in order to pick up the second channel. That doesn't make sense to me. Surely, a digital antenna picks up all digital signals available and any tuner, in either the TV or the recorder, then selects the channels, just as with analogue. Right?

(This post was edited by goa_gerbil on Mar 8, 2007, 11:40 PM)

techchris
Veteran

Mar 10, 2007, 11:50 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goa_gerbil] can't record one while watching another... [In reply to] Can't Post

you are right .the antenna goes to the recorder first then on to the tv.thats how you can record without the tv being switched on.dont listen to salesmen in future!!

goa_gerbil
New User

Mar 12, 2007, 11:19 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] can't record one while watching another... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)