Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
Standard Definition vs Widescreen Standard Definition

Joliet_tech
New User

Feb 6, 2017, 6:17 AM

Post #1 of 1 (3202 views)
Shortcut
Standard Definition vs Widescreen Standard Definition Can't Post

Hi there. I am trying to understand the difference between Standard Definition (Std Def) and Widescreen Standard Definition.

I have a Dynex 32" LCD TV (Model: DX-32L 150A) and ATT U-verse service. I do NOT pay for HD channels so it all should be Std Def.

When I configure u-verse to Std Def, the screen is always filled on the sides. It is usually filled on the top and bottom as well although there are a few channels that have black bars on top and bottom.

On Widescreen Std Def, there are black bars on both sides (which doesn't make sense to me). Most of the channels fill the top and bottom but some have black bars on the top and bottom as well. Again this makes no sense to me.

However, the really strange thing to me is that when on Std Def, there is information missing on the left and right side of the picture. It is often noticeable when viewing a live sporting broadcast where they put the score and TV station icon in the upper corners. Part of the score "box" is often cut off.

I am wondering why this happens. I also wonder if I can configure "something" differently to get this to fit.

I would also be curious to know this could be an artifact of the Dynex. It is a less expensive brand so I was a bit skeptical but the price was right.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)