Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
over air HDTV, antenna and equip. installation

AP3
New User

May 12, 2010, 3:12 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1948 views)
Shortcut
over air HDTV, antenna and equip. installation Can't Post

I've recently installed a clearstream 4 hdtv over the air antenna and plan to split the signal to 4 tv's. I've got it mounted outside and grounded to a 9 foot pole buried in the ground. I got my antenna adjusted just right. I get over 40 channels here in south west florida! Now, I want to split this signal to 4 tv's only. I got an inline amplifier from walmart and a 4 way splitter with surge protection. My question is, should I use an amp/splitter all in one, like the motorola signal booster 4-port BDA S-4, instead? Also, does anyone know how to use a power inserter to backfeed power through one line since I don't have a local power outlet? Any and all thoughts appreciated!
Here's specs of the amp and splitter I'm now using. AMPLIFIER: has bandwith with a forward path of 54-1000 MHz & a return path of 5-42 MHz, Gain with forward path of 18d and Return Path of -1 db max, a Response of +/-1 dB, an Output Capability of 30 dBmv, a Noise Figure of 5 dB, Impedance of 75ohms, and Power Reg of 117V 60Hz. 4 WAY SPLITTER: with a 6Kv surge protection and 8db loss per output...it is 5-1000Mhz.

jts1957
Veteran

May 12, 2010, 8:07 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AP3] over air HDTV, antenna and equip. installation [In reply to] Can't Post

So WHAT'S wrong with Satellite or Cable?Tongue

-------------------------

AP3
New User

May 13, 2010, 2:44 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] over air HDTV, antenna and equip. installation [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there are many out there who understand dB loss and the equipment used for dispersing digital signals...I got the idea and my system working...I just want to tweak it and make sure the money I spend is on the right stuff! So you guru's on this stuff please know I'm ready to listen!
Now, what's wrong with cable and satTongue you ask? That's funny because I didn't think I'd bother anybody by asking about antennas! But to answer I'd say nothing is wrong with it if you use it properly. As for my family, we watch about 3 channels on dish and it was $30/month. So, over the air HD signals are free, I do get about 30 solid HD channels, and I get it for initial cost of <$200. I think My TV can pause live TV if I insert a usb memory stick, which is ok, but not like Tivo or whatever. Eventually, I'll get a Roku or some other device to allow $9 netflix account to watch movies. I think this is a good way to simplify/cut costs since we don't spend alot of time watching TV. No offense to you who love yer TV!!!
So...any one know what's better... an inline amp then a 4 way splitter, or a single device, amp splitter in one?

jts1957
Veteran

May 13, 2010, 2:53 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AP3] over air HDTV, antenna and equip. installation [In reply to] Can't Post

Either one when fails likely to affect all 4 items. Inline amp then splitter would be quicker to swap out (2 wires vs. 5).Wink

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)