Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
running digital converter box on digital TV

wpshooter
New User

Apr 9, 2016, 11:31 PM

Post #1 of 3 (46505 views)
Shortcut
running digital converter box on digital TV Can't Post

I have a friend (no, not me) who when she stopped using her digital TV on a cable service provider, purchased a digital to analog converter box and routed the over-the-air digital antenna signals thru the digital converter box to the DIGITAL TV.

The TV works with that setup BUT I told her that she does not need the converter box because the TV is digital and no signal conversion needs to take place. However, when we took the converter box off of the setup, we can not get the TV to display any channels after doing a channel scan with input set to TV not cable.

I am thinking that the converter box use has changed some of the factory defaults, which is why we can not know get the TV to work without the converter. Am still if the process of trying to get everything set back to factory defaults.

But my question is, is it possible that her using a digital converter box on a digital TV has damaged the software or hardware components of the TV ?

P.S. - The TV is a Toshiba model 27HL85 manufacturer in 2005. I don't have the brand or model of the antenna or remote being used with me right at this moment.

(This post was edited by wpshooter on Apr 9, 2016, 11:49 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 10, 2016, 12:53 AM

Post #2 of 3 (46494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wpshooter] running digital converter box on digital TV [In reply to] Can't Post

The FCC has issued the following mandates for devices entering the US:

By July 1, 2005 all televisions with screen sizes over 36 inches (91 cm) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner
By March 1, 2006 all televisions with screen sizes over 25 inches (64 cm) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner
By March 1, 2007 all televisions regardless of screen size, and all interface devices that include a tuner (VCR, DVD player/recorder, DVR) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner.

Page 51 of User Manual says: Television System NTSC standard.

Digital to Analog converter boxes output S-I-G-N-A-L to the television via the following:
RF antenna connector (TV MUST be set to a particular channel)
Composite RCA jacks (TV MUST be set to Input that corresponds to set of jacks you're connected to)
Component RCA jacks (TV MUST be set to Input that corresponds to set of jacks you're connected to)
HDMI jack (TV MUST be set to Input that corresponds to HDMI jack you're connected to).

It should NOT damage TV.
I don't see any Factory default procedure in User Manual (I did NOT see if any accessible via service area).

So my instinct says that you have a set that has ONLY a NTSC tuner. (NO ATSC tuning capability)
P.S. - or DTV converter box brand/model.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Apr 10, 2016, 12:54 AM)

wpshooter
New User

Apr 10, 2016, 1:55 AM

Post #3 of 3 (46489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] running digital converter box on digital TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that, in essence, this Toshiba model is ANALOG and not Digital and thus it DOES need the converter box ?

Thanks.

Hmmmmm, further research says it is analog. By the dates, looks like she got one of the very last series of analog sets. Thanks.

(This post was edited by wpshooter on Apr 10, 2016, 2:10 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)