Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
will i be affected?

Volcano
New User

Jan 12, 2008, 7:51 AM

Post #1 of 9 (7562 views)
Shortcut
will i be affected? Can't Post

ok i was reading into the switch over. now i have dish network satlight tv. we do not have hdtvs. all our tvs are not actiant or anything. i thiknk they are tubes. 2 are around 10 years old. one is like 2-3 years old and the other i am not sure probbly around 5 - 7 years old. will i be affected. because if it just means you can no longer use an attana with out a converter that i understand. most people no longer use them. now if it means hd and hd tvs only that is not fair. hd is fairly new and expensive and most people dont have hdtv's yet. can someone help me?

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 12, 2008, 5:18 PM

Post #2 of 9 (7553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Volcano] will i be affected? [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately Yes!. but you don't even have to buy an HDTV if you choose not to. All you going to be needing will be a downcoverter which Im sure dish network may be able to help you with that if you make a call and will continue their service. why would they loose a good costumer?

denonjapan
made in japan

Volcano
New User

Jan 13, 2008, 1:54 AM

Post #3 of 9 (7550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] will i be affected? [In reply to] Can't Post

why are they doing this when 70 percent of amercians are affected. it makes no sense. it would be like microsoft saying xp will no longer work on your system and vista only. and alot of channels or most in dish networks case are not even hd yet.

Volcano
New User

Jan 13, 2008, 2:37 AM

Post #4 of 9 (7549 views)
Shortcut

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vXEgKCIaTsA

thats says your are wrong. i can understand that. no point in broadcasting it if nobody uses it.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 14, 2008, 1:55 AM

Post #5 of 9 (7539 views)
Shortcut

Did you really understand what I just said? I wouldn't wanna say something that would erupt you Mr. Volcano. Let me repeat myselt again even simpler this time. You said:"will i be affected. because if it just means you can no longer use an attana with out a converter that i understand. most people no longer use them. now if it means hd and hd tvs only that is not fair. hd is fairly new and expensive and most people dont have hdtv's yet. can someone help me?
Next to you was my response which means: > You will be needing a DOWN CONVERTER BOX, in order to work on your current analog televisions. Roof top antenna also usable thru the converter box (coxial input to the tv). Same happen with dish network, Comcast, Direct tv. The soon to be digital signal can still be downconverted to analog thru the upcoming SDTV RECEIVER, to those who already purchased an HD RECEIVER are worry-free.
On 2009, It would be great upcoming ISSUE in behalf of Comcast , dish networks, and direct tv existing costumers who still using standard tvs. Whosoever for whatever reason, are not going to embrace this changes. Broadcasters will have to meet their dedicated existing costumers needs. For some, who choose not to or can't afford an HDTV monitor. They may be able to offer you a downconverter box along with your continued subscriptions. Of course! they're not going to loose money if they loose costumers over this, where they're already spends lots of money into DIGITAL. I'm saying these as "will come true" assumptions. and the way I'm hearing people now? it will.......
denonjapan
made in japan

Volcano
New User

Jan 23, 2008, 7:00 AM

Post #6 of 9 (7453 views)
Shortcut

i emailed dish network and got this response a couple weeks ago

Dear Mr. **************,

Thank you for your e-mail. Over-the-air analog television as we know it
is about to change. However, TVs connected to DISH Network will not
experience any changes. By law, on February 17, 2009, television
stations nationwide must switch from the old method of transmitting TV
signals known as analog to digital television (DTV) signals. DTV is the
next generation technology for broadcasting television signals.
Remember, this only affects local broadcast TV signals/stations.

If you have one or more older TVs in your home that is not hooked up to
DISH Network, you will need to take some steps in order to make those
TVs work after February 17, 2009. The simplest way to prepare the older
TVs (not hooked up to DISH Network) for the transition is to simply get
you another DISH Network receiver(s). That way, all TVs in your home
will be DTV-ready and will be receiving America's best TV entertainment
with DISH Network.

Another way to make sure the older TV will work after the DTV transition
is to get an analog to digital converter box. DISH Network intends to
make analog to digital converter boxes available directly to customers
in early 2008.

We thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any
further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or
reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Vanessa M.
TID:OR-Missouri
DISH Network eCare

this is just what i thought. thought everyone would like to know.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 24, 2008, 6:15 AM

Post #7 of 9 (7448 views)
Shortcut

I'm glad we have this discussion, everything said in print if someone made an error and the receiver (like you) proudly took the response without realizing what is being said, is like who ever reads it will be lost in track too. Pay attention to what Vanessa M. just wrote you. and another thing!> In general ELECTRONICS, Pc world or video, or audio wise. I just can't argue with any womens point of view in this subject. I will be lost too.

She said:>"Another way to make sure the older TV will work after the DTV transition is to get an analog to digital converter box. DISH Network intends to make analog to digital converter boxes available directly to customers in early 2008". what the hell is analog to digital converter box? to an analog tv?

You ended saying: "this is just what i thought. thought everyone would like to know".
Man! you're late!

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Jan 24, 2008, 2:10 PM)

Volcano
New User

Jan 24, 2008, 11:06 AM

Post #8 of 9 (7444 views)
Shortcut

you made it sound like even a satlight reciever box was going to change and it was going to be 720p and hd tvs only. the email says its just local over the air attena that is changing. this was what i orginally thought but then people were saying its 720p and hd lcd tvs only. just thought this email could clear things up a bit. and it means i am not affected like you said i would be. so it only changes for poor people that cant afford pay tv.

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 4, 2008, 7:51 AM

Post #9 of 9 (7430 views)
Shortcut

Reason being she said :" DISH Network intends to make analog to digital converter boxes available directly to customers in early 2008". which she should say: digital to analog, not analog to digital.( like you said having an analog tv only ) Imagine this> if the the transition is going to be atleast 480i, and 720p the least which most broadcasters are prefered over 1080i due to side by side bars caused a 1080i resolution to a widescreen monitor. With your current dish receiver, and her propose changes above. How can your analog tv scan the digital transition without changing your current box?. She said it, "dish networks intends to make those CONVERTER boxes available directly to costumers early this year as we speak. So, to clear things up, I would say: Your analog tv's are not going to be affected just as long as you will continue their service. Perhaps sooner or later they will send you the downconverter box. Extra cost? sure it will.

Also, I don't necessarily believe the existence of poor or rich based on what you can afford. If you are in America, it's all about good and bad choices. So, don't beat yourself out of this. Perhaps, a litle changes and practice. You are not in the internet right now if you are that POOR.

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Feb 4, 2008, 8:15 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)