A bargin? Akai LCT37Z6TA

infecto
New User

Dec 18, 2006, 7:00 AM

Post #1 of 6 (7003 views)
Shortcut
A bargin? Akai LCT37Z6TA Can't Post

http://www.walmart.com/...o?product_id=5420917
1080P for that price? Can someone tell me why not to buy this TV?

(This post was edited by infecto on Dec 18, 2006, 7:16 AM)

MOtvGuy
User

Dec 18, 2006, 1:20 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [infecto] A bargin? Akai LCT37Z6TA [In reply to] Can't Post

My service company does Walmarts service. Compared to name brands like Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, the Akai's picture looks like crap. Poor black levels, pixel lag, the NTSC picture looks horrible unless you're hooked to an ideal signal source. If the thing breaks down expect Loooong waits for parts. The Akai name on this is just a badging name. The actual company that produces these things has an absolutely pathetic service and technical support staff. Parts are nearly non-existant.

techchris
Veteran

Dec 18, 2006, 8:31 PM

Post #3 of 6 (6969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] A bargin? Akai LCT37Z6TA [In reply to] Can't Post

crap is putting it mildly, MOtvGuy.Akai are what we call grey imports,probably originating from the dockside in South Africa or similar

MOtvGuy
User

Dec 19, 2006, 12:14 PM

Post #4 of 6 (6964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] A bargin? Akai LCT37Z6TA [In reply to] Can't Post

The company, I think it's called DSI, is also distributing the infamous ILO plasma sets along with the even more incredible Viore brand Plasma's. It's all junk and good luck getting service on this stuff when it breaks. and it will break sooner rather than later.

Oxmyx
New User

Jan 24, 2007, 3:09 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [infecto] A bargin? Akai LCT37Z6TA [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read all over the place that Akai service is poor about getting parts. This set seems to be made by Samsung. The specs match up with other Akai sets that are Samsungs. For example the $997 Viore 50" DLP sold at Walmart is a Samaung. Walmart sells the same Smsung set for $1398.

For that matter, I've read and heard terrible things about Samsung service and parts too.

That being said, you do have 90 days to return the set if you don't like it.

The main thing I dislike about the Samsung made sets is that they will only stretch the 4:3 pictures to fit the wide screen. Having 99% of what I watch appear fat bugs the crap out of me. It's still pretty much a 4:3 world out there in TV land. Other sets use a panorama mode to make the things in the middle look normal while stretching only the sides to fill the 16:9 screen.

My last set, a Magnavox CRT projection set even auto fit the picture to eliminate the black bars. Great feature, terrible TV, only lasted 2 years and the coolant leaked from the blue CRT and ruined the circuitry.

I'm thinking about trying this one myself. The only thing is that it's online only. So I might have to eat the shipping if it doesn't work out.

On rule, ALWAYS get the extra warranty! You'll have a little extra protection and someone else to litigate with if everything goes wrong.

MOtvGuy
User

Feb 6, 2007, 12:28 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxmyx] A bargin? Akai LCT37Z6TA [In reply to] Can't Post

Akai's used to have Sammie guts, not anymore.

Here's a typical scenario. Bad main board. Order board from Akai. Board comes in. It looks like a main board for an LCD or Plasma but it doesn't match what's in the set. Upon further examination, a paper label with the part number HAND WRITTEN ON IT is taped to the new board.

Yeah, just tape a label with the part number on it I need and send it too me, it'll work.

Not!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)