Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
A couple technical questions about Hd channels vs non hd channels

sportsman1539
New User

Aug 24, 2009, 3:13 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1204 views)
Shortcut
A couple technical questions about Hd channels vs non hd channels Can't Post

I currently have a 51" Hitachi 51f500 rear projection tv. I do not have an HD box yet but I plan to get one soon. I currently have direct tv and have my box hooked up to my hd tv. I have it hooked up with just regular RCA cables... red, yellow, white.
I took the hd box that is in my living room and hooked it up to my tv to check out how the hd channels looked and of course I was amazed at the picture quality. I had a set of component cables that I hooked in the back of my tv instead of using the regular white, red, and yellow rca cables. I noticed when I turn it to a channel that is nonhd, the picture is much better on the HD box than my nonhd box even though the channel isnt coming in hd on the hd box. I'm assuming it has to do with either the component cables or the box itself but I would think its probably the cables. If it is the cables, is there a way to hook it up to my non hd box to get the same picture quality that I'm getting out of the non hd channels on the hd box??? The back of the nonhd box has hookups for only red white and yellow but was wondering if there is a way to use the component cables with it. Thanks

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 24, 2009, 3:18 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sportsman1539] A couple technical questions about Hd channels vs non hd channels [In reply to] Can't Post

The back of the nonhd box has hookups for only red white and yellow but was wondering if there is a way to use the component cables with it.

NO!

-------------------------

sportsman1539
New User

Aug 24, 2009, 3:27 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] A couple technical questions about Hd channels vs non hd channels [In reply to] Can't Post

Didnt think so. Why is the picture better?? Is it because of the cables??

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 24, 2009, 3:34 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sportsman1539] A couple technical questions about Hd channels vs non hd channels [In reply to] Can't Post

65% Cables 35% BoxWink

sportsman1539
New User

Aug 24, 2009, 3:36 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1197 views)
Shortcut

I'm assuming the only devices that will have a hookup for component cables is something that is capable of putting out an hd signal which would explain why my nonhd box doesnt have a place for it. I have another question... My TV is considered to be HD ready which means I cant receive the new digital over the air broadcast without a converter box. To pick up the hd OTA signal, do I need anything special as far as a converter box goes??

sportsman1539
New User

Aug 24, 2009, 3:39 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] A couple technical questions about Hd channels vs non hd channels [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
65% Cables 35% BoxWink

Gotcha... they go hand in hand...

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 24, 2009, 3:51 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1193 views)
Shortcut

A HD converter box (NOT the same as a $40 off coupon DTV converter box).

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)