Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
DLP vs Plasma

Longhrn77
New User

Jun 18, 2007, 9:52 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2466 views)
Shortcut
DLP vs Plasma Can't Post

I'm in the market for a new HDTV. Wanting something in the 47" to 56" range. Right now I'm leaning towards DLP. What is the boards opinion of DLP vs. Plasma?

techchris
Veteran

Jun 18, 2007, 10:03 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Longhrn77] DLP vs Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Plasma is yesterdays technology so forget it.LCD is the future.Many big name manufacturers don't make plasma anymore, most are chinese imports which are not worth a bean

denonjapan
Veteran

Jun 20, 2007, 5:12 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2453 views)
Shortcut

hi, Im going to address it the way you asked this question. The size range you mentioned is obviously you are into DLP. Neither of those, Plasmas aren't available of those ranges but 6-7 inches smaller. One thing, the 2 are not meant for comparison. They don't belong in same category. It is now a matter of choice. One is way better than the other and Plasma is the answer. However, if you are really leaning on DLP's, look no further but JVC.

denonjapan
made in japan

Longhrn77
New User

Jun 20, 2007, 2:28 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] DLP vs Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you mean plasmas aren't available in that size. I've looked at dozens of 50+ inch plasmas.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2007, 11:31 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2425 views)
Shortcut

There is nothing "bad" or "wrong" with either DLP or Plasma.
Plasma can get burn in from those gray bars or from those news tickers ( CNN, FOX NEWS ,MSNBC ) if you watch the same channel for a long period. If you watch Fox News all day, it could be a problem.

DLP does not get burn in, but it also doesn't give a looking out the window type picture either.

There is no perfect type HD set out there. Each has it's own minor problems.

Just pick the one you can afford and YOU like the picture it gives you. Then sit down and enjoy your set and worry about " what if " I bought that other type instead.

thaddyusmaximus
New User

Jul 5, 2007, 8:02 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Reasons to go with plasma:
1. Plasma is clearer than DLP and performs better with fast moving pictures such as football. Even if a plasma is 720p vs. a 1080p DLP. Rememeber the only way right now you can use the 1080p feature is thru HD-DVD or Blu-Ray media. Either using a PS3, HD-DVD player, Xbox-360 Elite with HD-DVD Drive or a Blu-Ray player.
2. Thin
3. Lasts longer in terms of usage. 4000 hour lamp life for DLP vs. 30,000 for plasma. Bulb for a DLP is about $200 every four years. It depends how much you use it. Just like a light bulb.
Reasons to go with DLP
1. Cheaper than plasma. You can get a top of the line 50" 720p plasma for about $2000. Pioneer, panasonic or Samsung. For the same price you can get a 61" Samsung or Mitsubishi DLP 1080p TV.
2. Plasmas picture degrades over time.
3. No burn in.
The choice is yours. For me I'll go with LCD flat panel technology. To me it is clearer with better color accuracy and black levels for about the same price as a plasma. Plus you get the 1080p feature. But It does not perform as well as a plasma as far as fast-moving pictures. But that technology will catch and pass plasmas in the next year or so.

MOtvGuy
User

Jul 25, 2007, 11:49 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thaddyusmaximus] DLP vs Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

The long and the short of it.

LCD sets have a nice picture when the picture is static, they still suffer from lag regardless of how much LCD Affeciando's argue. In dollar per square inch, LCD's cost more.

Plasma's are less expensive than LCD's and don't suffer from the lag. They are not a good choice for gamers due to the technologies unfortunate burn-in problem. Panels can and do begin to suffer image quality problems after several years of usage.

DLP or LCD rear projectors give you the most bang for the buck but the picture quality isn't as good. There's viewing angle issues as well, just like old CRT based rear projectors. No lag issues with DLP's but you can suffer from that with LCD rear projectors. DLP viewers may see the rainbow effect. No problem with burn-in on either technology.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)