Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Difference in Built-in Tuners

Chollie
New User

Aug 2, 2006, 3:46 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Difference in Built-in Tuners Can't Post

I'm new on this forum; this is my first post. I plan to buy a HD wide screen TV and do not want to use a built-in tuner so I will not have to use a cable box to watch TV in HD. I will be on Time Warner cable. I am looking at TV's with two types of built-in tuners: One is "Digital-ready (DCR) that permits me to receive HD digital programming with a CableCard from the cable complany. The other is an "intregrated TV" with a "QAM" receiver. I am wondering if I buy the latter, will I be able to simply hook to the cable and receive the HD programming on local channels without subscribing to their "High Definition Tier", which includes not only the local, but other digital channels. Time Warner was unable to give me the answer as they are not familiar with all types of TV's and tuners.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2006, 8:40 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chollie] Difference in Built-in Tuners [In reply to] Can't Post

A quam tuner is used - when you connected to an over the air antenna to receive your local channels ( Hd or analog ).

A cable card is instead of a cable box. Not all cities and cable companies have cable cards.

How they price and what package depends on the cable company. The cable company should price the HD locals the same wheter you get them from cable card or cable box. Some do charge extra, but most do not yet.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)