Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Disable old CRT

PyroPlasm
New User

Feb 2, 2012, 10:32 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Disable old CRT Can't Post

I have an old 27 inch Zenith CRT HDTV that I hate with a passion. I want a new TV but as long as this one is working for reasons I don't care to go into I can't buy a new one. So my thought is to make it not work anymore to force the issue. I need a way to disable the TV but make it look like it just spontaneously died. I thought about taking off all the screws in the back and unhooking something but after 15 minutes and barely moving one screw and starting to strip it I gave up and I knew stripping all 8 screws would be pretty obvious. At this point it is starting to suffer from some minor burn-in and shadow effects. So if it dies either on its own or by my hand I don't care, but most likely it's got at least another few years of life in it.

Now I can't exactly cut the power cord or something as this is too obvious. I'm sure there's some way to quickly kill the TV but I'm not sure how to do this. I guess I'm just tired of looking at a piece of junk with no HDMI, not even a widescreen display and it can't display 720. Any help would be appreciated.

(This post was edited by PyroPlasm on Feb 2, 2012, 10:33 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 2, 2012, 10:44 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyroPlasm] Disable old CRT [In reply to] Can't Post

Take a SPARE piece of coax cable. Cut off one of the threaded fittings and install a AC plug in its place. Thread the coax onto the antenna connector, turn the TV on, insert the plug end of coax into AC outlet and enjoy the fireworks. Wink

EDIT:
The above would be connected to disable the TV. It would be removed (and original antenna reconnected) once fire department leaves ... I mean the fireworks die down.Cool

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 3, 2012, 12:28 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)