Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
HD channels with antenna?

scottman1027
New User

Oct 4, 2007, 3:56 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1888 views)
Shortcut
HD channels with antenna? Can't Post

Hey just wondering if I can pick up local channels that are broadcast in HD with a regular UHF/ VHF antenna? I currently have Direct TV and was thinking about putting an antenna in my attic for local channels anyway, but I wasnt sure if it would pick up local HD channels.Smile
Thanks,
Scott

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 5, 2007, 12:30 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottman1027] HD channels with antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes you can, even thru rabbit antenna. Only, if you have Direct tv hd receiver.

denonjapan
made in japan

scottman1027
New User

Oct 5, 2007, 1:46 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] HD channels with antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks denonjapan. I was also wondering about going directly into the antenna input on the back of the TV. My TV is not 1080, but it does have HDMI inputs. Only thing is the antenna input is just coax. Will the local HD channels look any better through the antenna than they do with non HD direct tv? Should I just experiment and stop asking questions? Thanks again.Smile

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 6, 2007, 3:30 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1864 views)
Shortcut

don't be silly! feel-free, you're welcome to ask anytime. Anyhow, I have no idea what type of monitor you currently have. Having full 1080 resolution don't justify the ability or performance of the set. it's how well the broadcasting materials being shown. Not all 1080i, 480I, or 720p materials looks thesame and clarity in every channel. Some are better than others. HD materials are set according to your stations. No matter how you tweak your monitor, what you see is what stations can afford to broadcast. It cost a lot of money for them to show fully and truly high definition formats all the time. if your monitor resolution ranging from 1024 x 1024, 1366x768 are good enough to scale higher materials not because you are looking at the monitor with 1980 x 1080 resolutions don't necessarily mean all programs shown in those monitors are at full scale. No!.

Back to your question,"
Will the local HD channels look any better through the antenna than they do with non HD direct tv? = there's no such thing! hd channels over the air versus non-hd direct tv disagree with your term none-hd. so what's the point? none-hd meaning SDTV. When you say " will local hd channel look any better over the air or HD direct tv than cable" then i would say: Yes, over the air and hd from direct tv look better than Cable.( Like Comcast or RCN) take care!

denonjapan
made in japan

scottman1027
New User

Oct 6, 2007, 3:49 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] HD channels with antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey thanks again for the response! I guess I just wanted to find out if there was going to be any other advantages from putting an antenna in my attic other than just picking up the SD ( standard definition right? ) local channels. I still get the local channels through my Direct TV service, but I thought it would be nice to have the antenna for when the satellite is out in storms and such.
Thanks for the advise!Smile
Scott

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 7, 2007, 3:24 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1854 views)
Shortcut

In that case, I'm not sure since direct tv receiver operates with an access card. (tank1 maybe able to help you confirm that with you ) or else, get an alternate OTA receiver.

denonjapan
made in japan

Franky
User

Oct 13, 2007, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1828 views)
Shortcut

Ok Guys, let you know what i have. An HD Tube TV set Sony KV36HS500,1080I/720P/480p, than i have a dishnet work HD receiver/1080I/720P/480P.Than i bought an indoor/outdoor antenna.i get the local channels,like NBC,ABC,and a few other channels, depends on the antenna size and signal strength on your area, this is good because some time due to bad weather one looses the sat sgnal, but you have to change to the off the air local channels before the sat looses the signal, due to storms,now the signal of the off the air when broadcasted in HD is great like for exemple Jay Leno or saterday night live,

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)