Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
How Long Will It Last?

oldschool52
New User

Jan 30, 2011, 3:45 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1953 views)
Shortcut
How Long Will It Last? Can't Post

Does anyone know the average lifespan of a LCD tv? That is one spec I can't find. Is one manufacturer better than another? Is any model better than another?

I'm in the research stage of a 42" LCD set. It seems most are pretty happy if they live over 2 years. I have a Polaroid 32" that lasted 5 years. (Waiting on caps for PS) I'm watching a 15yo CRT GE that works fine. Is it just a crap shoot and you might get lucky with the garbage components being used and the junk that comes from China? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 30, 2011, 7:58 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oldschool52] How Long Will It Last? [In reply to] Can't Post

oldschool52;.....

I can only give you some common sense answers to your comments as I don't have any technical experience working on this type of TVs....

Does anyone know the average lifespan of a LCD tv?

The newer ones have 30 seconds OR 30 feet whichever comes first....Wink...
Just kidding... Lifespans vary widely....

Is one manufacturer better than another? Is any model better than another?

From my limited knowledge , I would say , Yes & Yes....
Could not give you manufacturer or models to recommend...

I'm watching a 15yo CRT GE that works fine. Is it just a crap shoot

I have a 46" RCA 15 year old Projection that is working fine (Knock wood)...& It appears to be a crap shoot , especially with the inferior junk coming from China....
It is especially hard (Even for us techs) to separate the junk from quality....

That's all I can say at this time except , GOOD LUCK....Sly...

Later....Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

techchris
Veteran

Jan 30, 2011, 8:09 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1946 views)
Shortcut

if you buy Panasonic you wont go far wrong. The rest is just luck if it lasts 2 years or 5. Problem is you buy Plasma, then LCD overtakes it, then edge lit LED arrives and now organic LED. Main thing is never buy stuff with wierd names you have never heard of.

TeVe
New User

Feb 3, 2011, 7:13 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] How Long Will It Last? [In reply to] Can't Post

Panasonic is Good even Pioneer is good for that matter. Please note ther eis seldom a complete package even though all do claim for it still.
The life also depende on the usage like if you use it in dynamic mode alot then yes it will die on yuo pretty soon or if you play games also aswell it does hamper the life of the equipment. You must already know this but still I hope it helps. If you can visite <a href="http://www.testfreaks.com/televisions/">Testfreaks</a> little eye opener for all kinds of TVs/.

Inkytron
New User

Feb 3, 2011, 9:38 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1931 views)
Shortcut

I've had my Plasma TV for five years now and it is still going strong. Just picked up an LCD at Christmas, so I'm curious as to how the lifespans compare to one another.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)