Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Input Question

rubyburns
New User

Jul 17, 2006, 3:53 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Input Question Can't Post

We just purchased a Hitachi 51" CRT rear projection TV, 51F59A. I am not sure the installer hooked everything up correctly. It took him 3 hours! We have a VCR/DVD combo, and a 5 speaker surround system with Yamaha Receiver (that is 12 yrs. old).
We signed up for HD service at the same time we bought our TV - so we now have the Comcast cable box - for HD only ($5/mo).
The installer has the HD channels on Input 4. Our regular cable channels are on the CABLE input. We can watch them on Input 4 but the picture is way better when put on the "cable" input.
My question - why can't the HD channels and regular cable be accessed on the SAME input? It doesn't make sense to me that they would have to be separated unless it was because how the installer hooked everything up.
I hope I've given enough info. The HD channels (there are only about 10 broadcast in HD - we have basic and expanded basic service - don't want digital...too many channels, not enough time) are just gorgeous.
When we switch to the regular cable channels while on INPUT 4, which is supposed to be for viewing the HD channels, the cable channels don't look as good as when we switch to the CABLE input.
Need some help soon before we talk to the manager of the installation dept. regarding this maybe problem??
Thanks!! Ruby

TANK1
Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2006, 1:48 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rubyburns] Input Question [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hd cable should be connected to the tv set with a HDMI cable and a seperate connection to Yamaha Receiver ( Toslink,or basic RCA cables).

The DVD/Vcr combo should be connected with the component video cables and a seperate cables to the Yamaha.Or a s-video cable and seperate Rca Cables to the Yamaha.

The HDMI and component video imputs on your set give you access to HD.

Anything that is connected with s-video,rca cables or a basic coax cable directly from the wall to set is giving you a non-HD picture. Think regular tv just enlarged to fit your screen.

You can go here to see what each cable looks like http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)