Playing DVD on a Widescreen TV

fuzzy_logic
New User

Sep 3, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Playing DVD on a Widescreen TV Can't Post

Hi,

This might be a stupid question but I really couldn't figure it out myself...

I've recently bought a Samsung LNS3251D 32" Wide LCD HDTV and this is my first widescreen TV. On a normal (4:3) TV, if you put in a widescreen DVD, the video output would only take up the middle part of the screen, leaving a black horizontal bar at the top and the bottom of the entire screen. This effectively gives the video output an aspect ration of 16:9.

When I tried playing a widescreen DVD on my new widescreen TV, the same thing happened (much to my surprise). The video output does not take up the entire TV screen and there's still a black horizontal bar at the top and the bottom of the entire screen. Since the TV itself is already 16:9, this makes the actual video output really distorted, with an aspect ratio of much wider than 16:9. Is this supposed to be the case? Shouldn't the video output take up the whole screen on a widescreen TV? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

techchris
Veteran

Sep 3, 2006, 3:43 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuzzy_logic] Playing DVD on a Widescreen TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Not many films are in 16:9 format. look on the back of the box and it will tell you the ratio ie 1.8:1. the bigger the first number the smaller or more letterbox shape the film will be on your tv. From memory I think 1.8:1 is about 16;9 so nothing else will fit. Bet the salesman never told you that!!

TANK1
Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2006, 9:51 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuzzy_logic] Playing DVD on a Widescreen TV [In reply to] Can't Post

A dvd in widescreen with an aspect ratio of 1:85 will fill the whole screen with no bars.
But a lot of dvds have aspect ratio's of 2:20 and 2:35, so there are bars on the top and bottom.

If your picture is disorted, check the dvd player and make it set to widescreen.
Just go into the menu of your dvd player and look under set up for the widescreen option.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)