need advise on buying digital adapter

gweedow
New User

Nov 15, 2014, 2:44 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2882 views)
Shortcut
need advise on buying digital adapter Can't Post

Hello all,
Like many cable company's, mine went all digital. Now they make you get there digital adapter box. Free for one or two. Then with in year it is added to your monthly bill. More money. Besides my large tv in the main room that has the cable company's set top box Im ok there. But in another room I have a smaller flat screen tv that can get HD and digital of course. But it will need that digital adapter box. I even split the cables at the cable company's box, and that did not work to get channels on the second tv. I pay for my cable so I'm not looking for an illegal way to get channels. There for,, what kind of small box can I buy just for the second tv to get back those channels on it. Any names. I want to own the box and at least keep the cable payments down a little. Not the kind of box that is for an over the air antenna. I live in a valley that is way hard to get more then two tv stations. Unless those boxes will work. Hope you can help. Thanks people.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 15, 2014, 3:53 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gweedow] need advise on buying digital adapter [In reply to] Can't Post

Any box you get for cable will have to be reported to them so they can 'address' it. IF all your TV's are HDTV's, you will have to have High Definition digital adapter boxes if you wish to continue getting high def. These boxes must output to a hidef input on the TV's (HDMI, Component, etc.).
They need to be able to tell the boxes that your account is active (you paid your bill), which tier of channels you subscribe to (so you can't tune in any you don't pay for), any pay services, PPV events, etc. It also lets them know your viewing habits, which service you are watching, whether you channel surf during commercials. what color underwear your wearing (or not) while watching ...

IF all your TV's are HDTV's and you go with over the air - NO adapter box will be needed, just a good professionally installed antenna.

If any of your TV's are analog (mostly CRT sets) the over the air DTV adapter boxes will tune and convert ALL signals to 480 LoDef. IF connecting from adapter box to TV using coaxial antenna/cable wire you will also lose Stereo sound. If using adapter boxes composite outputs to TV's composite inputs, you'll still have stereo and a little better picture.

-------------------------

gweedow
New User

Nov 16, 2014, 12:44 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] need advise on buying digital adapter [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks jts1957.... Unsure Yes back a few years ago, the gov. was offering free digital boxes for over the air antennas. I did get one, but like I said only got one fairly good station and a couple ones that all ways broke up every second. An antenna would have to be very high and a large array. Then there are the certain channels you like that don't broad cast near you. Maybe it's time for me to just keep the internet from the cable company and see how some of those online streaming places are. Do you have cable or Sat, and do you have most of the packages they offer? How about anyone else. What are the rest of you doing about the growing cable and Sat bills? Or am I in the wrong section for that question. Thanks

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 16, 2014, 1:22 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gweedow] need advise on buying digital adapter [In reply to] Can't Post

I cut the cable cord early in 2009. Haven't paid a penny for worldwide MOVIE & TV series/show viewing since.

If you want more details PM me.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)