F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Big W - Awa 42" Lcd Vs Dfo Sony Kdf-e50a10 Vs Dfo Sagem Axium Hd-d56b

ludicrouspeed
New User

Mar 7, 2007, 4:21 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2805 views)
Shortcut
Big W - Awa 42" Lcd Vs Dfo Sony Kdf-e50a10 Vs Dfo Sagem Axium Hd-d56b Can't Post

Hi Guys/(possibly)Girls,

I am putting up this post because although i HAVE researched these 3 TV's thoroughly and seen them all in action, i just CANT decide which one is better value, can anyone with some knowledge (or not) please step in and share opinions. heres a brief of what i have gathered so far.

Big W - Awa 42" Lcd
Link - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=47132
Warranty - 1 year (i think)
Price - $1598

Pros - real LCD so nice and slim (not really an issue for me coz i wont be hanging on the wall)

Cons - i hear the picture is not so great and smaller screen than the projection LCD's below

I have been to Big W to check this out but they had it hooked up to free to air tv with crappy composite cable so image was crap!

Sony KDF-E50A10 50 inch rear projection lcd
Link - http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDF_E50A10/45...html?tag=return
Warranty - 1 Year (optional 5 years for about $150)
Price - around $1500

Pros
- Sony brand name (who cares right... i have a wii tongue.gif)
- 50" screen
- VERY nice image
- 5 year warranty option

CONS
- Rear projection so thicker form factor than Big W lcd (not really a problem for me because i wont be wall mounting it anyway)
- Has a bulb like all rear projection TV's and is expensive to replace
- susceptible to rainbow effect because it is a rear projection tv (although i could not see it)

i went to DFO at homebush to checkout what they had and this tv + the sagem beneath were the standouts for my price range. they had it hooked up properly to component cables from a stb and i was VERY impressed with the nice crisp image.

Sagem AXIUM HD-D56B Projection TV (HDD56B) 56 inch rear projection lcd
Link - http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sagem-AXIUM_HD-D56B_.htm
Warranty - 1 Year (optional 5 years for about $150)
Price - $2000

Pros
- HUGE 56" screen
- VERY nice image (nicer than the sony)
- dual PC input, VGA + DVI
- 5 year warranty option

CONS
- Rear projection so thicker form factor than Big W lcd (not really a problem for me because i wont be wall mounting it anyway)
- Has a bulb like all rear projection TV's and is expensive to replace
- susceptible to rainbow effect because it is a rear projection tv (although i could not see it)

This TV is the one i liked the most out of the 3 as it was setup with a vga cable from a pc and was playing some kind of WMV demo video and the pic was truly VERY nice.

So there you have it, I REALLY want the SAGEM, due to its huge size and beautiful picture and im willing to pay the extra ~$500 for it but i am a bit worried about the BULB, thats my main concern. The salesman tried to tell me it would be YEARS before i had to change it lik as in 5-10 with average use but u know salesmen (realistically, how long do the bulbs last?) so i want an unbiased opinion from you guys on this AND any other elements or points to consider i may have misssed/overlooked.

I want to be really happy with my TV whichever one i choose and that is why i am going to the effort of putting up this long ass post reaching out for some input.

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback.

Cheers,

Ludi

techchris
Veteran

Mar 7, 2007, 11:23 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ludicrouspeed] Big W - Awa 42" Lcd Vs Dfo Sony Kdf-e50a10 Vs Dfo Sagem Axium Hd-d56b [In reply to] Can't Post

2 years is a good time for the lamp to last. after that several hundred $ or £ to replace it.also the chances of getting sagem or awa repaired is about zilch due to poor after sales backup.

ludicrouspeed
New User

Mar 7, 2007, 11:29 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Big W - Awa 42" Lcd Vs Dfo Sony Kdf-e50a10 Vs Dfo Sagem Axium Hd-d56b [In reply to] Can't Post

2 years!!!??? wow, that seems really low after being told 5-10 years by other sources, not saying i dont believe you its just an unfortunate surprise!

techchris
Veteran

Mar 8, 2007, 10:18 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ludicrouspeed] Big W - Awa 42" Lcd Vs Dfo Sony Kdf-e50a10 Vs Dfo Sagem Axium Hd-d56b [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been a tech in this trade seems like since Noah brought two tv's in for repair, and experience counts for a lot more than a salesman's words!! Good advice for anyone buying something new,tv, cars,etc is ask the guys who repair them first what they like or dont like.

ludicrouspeed
New User

Mar 9, 2007, 12:44 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Big W - Awa 42" Lcd Vs Dfo Sony Kdf-e50a10 Vs Dfo Sagem Axium Hd-d56b [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds official to me, thanks for the adviceSmile

rrobor
Veteran

May 7, 2007, 12:21 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2748 views)
Shortcut

AWA you may think is that company that used to be and your dad had an AWA tv for 20 years etc, AWA was bought out by Mitsubishi then the name was let lapse. It was then a free for all and the Chinese used the name. So it is now a TV made in China to sell. Names mean little if they went missing for a time I have seen Rank Arena TVs back, sold in reject shops etc.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)