Using USA-purchased TV overseas - multiple questions

iseldiera
New User

Nov 5, 2013, 6:53 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Using USA-purchased TV overseas - multiple questions Can't Post

Hello TV Forums users,

Before the upcoming black friday / cyber monday sales, I have a few questions I would like to ask the experienced members of your community.

I currently reside in the USA and I will be permanently moving to Cyprus in Europe in a few months.

I am planning to purchase a high-end HDTV and my market research is showing me a price difference up to %300 of the prices in USA (I will also be able to bring my belongings customs/tax free).

I have also done the research on NTSC and PAL formats. Before I make any purchase decision, I would like to ask your opinions on these questions.

1. Is there any way to use an NTSC TV purchased in the US in a European country, to watch TV channels, through a satellite/cable box connected to the TV? If the cable box or satellite box is being connected to the TV through the HDMI cable, does this mean that the NTSC/PAL different wont play a role, or would it still not work?

2. Which cable connection type would override this problem?

3. Are there any TV's sold in the United States, which would be "compatible" or "supported" for the PAL system used in Europe?

4. I see that there are many different PAL/SECAM/NTSC converters sold on the market in the USA today. My question is regarding the depenability of these as well as the quality of the picture - Would any of these converters give me Full HD quality sound and picture, or would there be a compromise?

5. I currently own a Samsung HT-E6500W 5.1 3D Home Theater System - would this be used in any way to overcome this PAL/NTSC problem?

6. The TV purchased in the USA will also need a voltage converter unit to work in Cyprus - What is the general feeling on the dependability of these converters? Do you think they carry any risks or would they lessen the expected life of the TV in any way?

7. Does NTSC/PAL format difference of a TV also affect the compatibility of a gaming console, such as the upcoming XBOX One? Would a us-purchased Xbox one work on any TV or would it require NTSC?

Thank you in advance for all your answers..

(This post was edited by iseldiera on Nov 5, 2013, 6:54 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)