Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
lcd help

bob31666
New User

Apr 1, 2009, 5:48 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1531 views)
Shortcut
lcd help Can't Post

I just purchased a samsung b550 series lcd and a samsumg dvd recorder. the problem is that I cant seem to get my picture to look like it looks as when I go to a large retailer. In other words, it is not as clear as can be. I do have a satellite box (a pansat 2700). What could I be doing wrong? Do i need to purchase some sort of seperate HD receiver at a radio shack or something. I did connect the dvd recorder using hdmi cable and I still dont think it looks as good as they do at a best buy or sears. Any help is appreciated. Thanx

techchris
Veteran

Apr 3, 2009, 8:32 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bob31666] lcd help [In reply to] Can't Post

are you inputting a pure HD signal?

bob31666
New User

Apr 4, 2009, 6:12 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] lcd help [In reply to] Can't Post

no, not a pure hd signal. how do I get pure hd signal? can i purchase an hd receiver at retail stores or something? (radio shack, best buy, etc)

techchris
Veteran

Apr 4, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1515 views)
Shortcut

you get HD signals from the local transmitter or cable company in your area. SD will not look as good as HD even upscaled through a DVD recorder, and the sales showrooms always show HD tv or Blu ray to make the tv's look good in the shop.

bob31666
New User

Apr 7, 2009, 3:58 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

im sorry chris, i am still new to this, but what is SD? I know HD, but not HD. Also is there a way to set the settings to make it look as good as possible. Ive heard of a dvd for sale that helps on this does it work?

techchris
Veteran

Apr 7, 2009, 8:03 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1499 views)
Shortcut

SD is standard definition tv as opposed to HD. just adjust the picture till it looks good to you, 80-90% contrast and 60% brightness is a good baseline to start from with most LCD tv's but don't expect it to look as good as High Definition

bob31666
New User

Apr 8, 2009, 4:06 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1495 views)
Shortcut

i will try that. regarding the dvd out there to "calibrate"my tv, what are your thoughts on it?

techchris
Veteran

Apr 8, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1488 views)
Shortcut

the only adjustments are in the customer menu,you don't need a dvd to set brightness contrast and colour, only reasonably good eyesight, so don't waste your money.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)