Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
voltage coming through HDMI - possible grounding problem?

jcfuller
New User

Dec 19, 2010, 11:53 PM

Post #1 of 2 (14364 views)
Shortcut
voltage coming through HDMI - possible grounding problem? Can't Post

The situation:

I have a Toshiba 57HC85 projection HDTV.

My old cable box was constantly resetting and finally would not turn on. The cable technician replaced it with a new Motorola DC3200X-M cable box. He informed me that he was reading 50 volts coming through the HDMI cable from the T.V., and that was likely to be what fried the cable box. He then hooked it up with component cables so that hopefully it wouldn't fry it again.

He told me that there may be a problem with the house wiring or the TV's ground, so I bought a simple outlet tester to find out if there is a problem with the house wiring. The outlet tester shows that there is indeed a problem with these outlets, so I will call an electrician to take a look. However, I found an outlet in another room that the tester showed to be working properly and ran an extension cord to the TV in order to check whether switching the TV over to a known good outlet would solve the voltage problem. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Using a multimeter, I've found that there is around 43V coming through the HDMI cable from the TV. I then tested the component cables and found the same 43V coming through. It seems that the issue is with my TV and occurs for both the HDMI and component. I would gladly buy a new one if I had the money, but I'm hoping for a cheaper fix.

Questions:

1. Is it safer to hook up the cable box to my TV with the component cables, or will it eventually fry again either way?

2. Is there any kind of go-between device that would be able to 'eliminate' the voltage in my HDMI cable? Or, is there any way to divert it or properly ground the TV (if there is a grounding problem)?

3. Does the Toshiba 57HC85 typically have grounding issues or electrical problems? Especially considering that it only has a two-prong plug, that might make sense. If so, what can be done to fix it?

4. Could the problem with the house wiring have damaged my TV, or is 43V coming out of the cables normal for a Toshiba 57HC85?

Please respond as soon as possible, and thank you for your time.

(This post was edited by jcfuller on Dec 19, 2010, 11:55 PM)

blazetv
New User

Apr 2, 2011, 2:47 AM

Post #2 of 2 (14278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcfuller] voltage coming through HDMI - possible grounding problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the exact same problem with my TV HDMI cable. My TV is a mitsubishi DLP that I bought last year. I also have Time Warner Cable. From the day I got it, the cable would never work right showing a error code of 106 for the on demand channels and the box would randomly shut off and reboot at least 3 times a day. I tried switching HDMI cables, ports, used the component cables, different outlets and surge protectors for the cable and the power cords. Also, my breaker for the livingroom kept tripping if all the lights were on at the same time as the TV. Time Warner switched out my box 8 times within the year and finally one of the techs said there was 80 volts coming out of the HDMI cable that was causing an overload of volts to the box, disrupting the signal. I then called Mitsubishi as it was still under warranty and they said there was no way HDMI could have voltage though it. I asked for a technician to be sent to my house anyway and the guy was terrible. All he did was flip through my settings, but didn't even measure any voltage meter readings and told me it was my cable box that was the problem. I called Mitsubishi back immediately after he left to complain about the service and to have them send a new tech out, but they refused and said it was not the TV. Forward 6 months; the oneyear warranty inspection on my new house and the electricians looked for everything that could be causing it; a staple going though both power and cable lines causing a bleed, outlet testing, they changed out the breakers - they even coordinated with Time Warner Techs to find out what the problem was. They both came to the conclusion independently that it was indeed the HDMI cable and component cables that were carrying the voltage from the TV. I also own a voltage meter and I got the exact same things. If you test the cable coming into the cable box from the wall against the male in port on the box, there is 82 volts. If you unplug the HDMI cable from the box and test again, there is no volts, eliminating the cable box as the source of volts as well as the cable line itself. When I test the TV HDMI port by touching the inside of the TV port to the HDMI while it is hooked up to the cable box, I get 109 volts, but if I take the same end of the HDMI cable and touch it to another ground, there is no volts. If I repeat the testing above with just the TV unplugged, i get no volts, so by elimination it is the TV. 2 electricians and 3 time warner techs agree it is the TV, but of course Mitsubishi says it can't be. My warranty was over 11 days ago, but Mitsubishi promised they would pay for it if it ended up being the TV as the source of the problem, since I had the same complaint 6 months ago that they never resolved.
Basically what it is is the ground inside the TV is not working so the electricity is going through the HDMI cable to the cable box looking for a ground. This causes a backup in the box and then through the cable itself. After going through this story many times with a TV repair tech over the phone, as well as verifiable readings and the documentation of 2 licensed electricians and 3 cable techs, they finally agree it is most likely a disfunctional ground inside the TV.
So don't let people tell you that it is not possible because it is. I do have to applaud Time Warner as they came out every time and tried to look for solutions to help me out and in the end were the first ones to suggest that was the problem. The final tech I had out here said he had seen it happen on a few TVs where it was a dislodged or broken ground inside the TV.
I hope you found a reason for your issue, but if not, have them look at the ground system in your TV.

akp

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)