Connecting Home Theatre system to Toshiba LCD

canindian
New User

Jul 17, 2008, 5:03 PM

Post #1 of 2 (2465 views)
Shortcut
Connecting Home Theatre system to Toshiba LCD Can't Post

Hey fellas,

I am trying to connect Panasonic 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System with my Toshiba 37" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV. I have connected these two equipment via a HDMI cable (and optical audio cable). According to the owners manual for toshiba I should be able to select the option of 'Dolby Digital' in under Audio in Menu screen.

Panasonic manual thought me how to use the home theatre system whilst watching the cable TV, and I am able to do that BUT I am not able to get a 'surround' sound system working. I can only get the front OR back speakers working individually and not as a one whole set. Moreover, I cannot even seem to play my subwoofer.

MY TV
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10100629&catid=23244

MY HOME THEATRE SYSTEM
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10099243&catid=20311

I'll appreciate any help that will be offered. Thanks

techchris
Veteran

Jul 17, 2008, 7:41 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [canindian] Connecting Home Theatre system to Toshiba LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

usually the reason all sound channels dont work is because the input is not in stereo. the digital optical input should be though. try an audio lead from the audio out sockets (red/white) on the tv to the auxilliary input of the surround system. if that works ok then either the menus are set up wrong for the optical lead or there is a fault on either piece of equipment. you could try the panasonic on another tv with optical audio to prove which is the problem. on the tosh the output not the input needs to be dolby digital

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)