LCD TV screen image frozen and distorted

XT500fred
New User

May 20, 2016, 12:19 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3356 views)
Shortcut
LCD TV screen image frozen and distorted Can't Post

Hi,
I have been given a Technosonic LCD2603ID TV by my neighbour. He was going to dump it because of a problem with the image display, but I'm hoping to fix it so I can use it in my garage.

The TV powers on OK, and works fine for about 20 minutes, whereupon the image freezes and breaks up, and then starts to slowly fade to white. When the TV is turned off and on, it works OK, but will break down again. The problem is the same for all inputs we have tried: antenna, scart, HDMI and PC VGA.

Here's some images:
[URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/user/fredXT500/media/TV%20repair/WP_20160517_003.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/user/fredXT500/media/TV%20repair/WP_20160517_004.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/user/fredXT500/media/TV%20repair/WP_20160517_006.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/user/fredXT500/media/TV%20repair/WP_20160517_011.jpg.html]

I've tried to research the problem but can't find anything specific to this problem. I'm thinking it's something on the mainboard (graphics chip overheating?) or the PSU. Both can be replaced easily, but would rather know just which one to replace.

Cheers,
fred.

jts1957
Veteran

May 20, 2016, 2:03 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [XT500fred] LCD TV screen image frozen and distorted [In reply to] Can't Post

Panel or Tcon board.

-------------------------

XT500fred
New User

May 20, 2016, 2:40 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] LCD TV screen image frozen and distorted [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the quick reply jts.

What are you referring to as "Panel or Tcon board". You'll have to explain a bit better please, I'm new to this kind of TV malarkey, although I do know my way around a computer' innards.

Here's a picture of the rear of the TV with it's trousers down. Can you point them out from this?:

Cheers,
fred

jts1957
Veteran

May 20, 2016, 4:59 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [XT500fred] LCD TV screen image frozen and distorted [In reply to] Can't Post

Near the lower right there are two stickers with bar codes that are affixed to the panel.

On the lower (Main) board, on the left, there is a cable/connector with multiple twisted pairs of wires. Follow that cable to its opposite end and you should strike gold (tcon). You'll probably have to lift the metal chassis that the Power and Main boards mount on.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on May 20, 2016, 5:02 PM)

XT500fred
New User

May 21, 2016, 4:08 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] LCD TV screen image frozen and distorted [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks again jts.
I've pulled it apart, found the Tcon board, and made a note of it so I can order the right part.

I then re-assembled the TV and turned it on to make sure I had put it back together correctly. I left it on all afternoon and there wasn't a single problem with it. That was yesterday, and I've had it on again today for about 5 hours, and it's till working fine. Looks like it's sorted itself out somehow. Possibly some dust or muck on it somewhere causing it to overheat or short-out? Whatever it was, it's gone, and I've got myself a nice little freebie :-)

Thanks again for your help. If the problem does return, I'll know what to do now.

Cheers,
fred

jts1957
Veteran

May 21, 2016, 4:22 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3332 views)
Shortcut

Tarnish on pins of plug-in connector pins (or slide-in ribbon cables) - unplugging and reseating is just enough to wipe.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)