Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
LCD spec. questions prior to purchase

smurph1
New User

Oct 21, 2008, 10:45 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1633 views)
Shortcut
LCD spec. questions prior to purchase Can't Post

I’m looking at buying a new 37-42” LCD TV, and am asking for some advice on the specifications, i.e. what are the important ones etc.
Obviously, Full HD 1920x1080 seems to be the best on the market at present, in the UK anyway.
1. Contrast ratio & Dynamic contrast ratio, what is the difference, and what should I look for?
2. Response time – is this important? Some manufacturers/outlets advertise this others don’t, seems strange.
3. Any others I need to look for?

I want to be able to use PC on the TV, when watching TV, and am looking for PIP (picture IN picture) and PAP (picture AND picture), for which I have found only Sony & Hitachi’s current range have this facility....please if you have info. or links for this let me know.

gavin.thtf
New User

Oct 25, 2008, 8:41 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smurph1] LCD spec. questions prior to purchase [In reply to] Can't Post

hello, I think I could give you some advice since I am in TV business for two years. As your requirement, you want P2P or PAP while watching TV and using PC. It is very easy to make this feature. Many supermarkets don't sell this kind of TV is because it is not of big demand.
When you choose your own TV, please be aware of the warranty service. It is very important know the static contrast ratio(for LCD TV, usually below 1200:1). The dynamic contrast ratio is tested in extreme environment and specially designed video. Take a look at the snow screen. If the snow is clearly white, it is a good LCD panel.
Gavin

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 1, 2008, 5:25 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1546 views)
Shortcut

"design is nothing but a language, if you have nothing to say, it can't be your salvation".

denonjapan
made in japan

OzGoldCoaster
New User

Nov 10, 2008, 2:09 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1518 views)
Shortcut

I have been looking to buy a flat screen tv for a while too - Ive decided on an LCD and had the same questions. To help answer some of the questions you have that I have discovered recently:

Contrast Ratio and Dynamic Contrast ratio: the same thing, only dynamic contrast means the TV will lower the brightness of the back light, and hence the entire picture, when most of the picture is dark. From what I have heard this is not the best cos sometimes you can notice the back light drop off. What you should look out for is the normal, or 'static' contrast ratio.

Note: Dont get carried away with the really high contrast ratios cos the amount of light you normally have in the TV room cancels it out. Those high figures quoted on the TV's can only be achieved in a perfectly dark room.

Response time is important to stop the image from blurring - go for 8ms or under.

Any others to look out for? You have picked the key ones, but there are some other good ones like the brightness or the dead pixel policy (something I'd never even heard of before...)

I got most of my info from this site:
http://www.justflatscreentv.com
Click on "Buying a TV?" on the menu on the left.

Hope this helps!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)