Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Need help! (kinda long)

sloanwi
New User

Nov 10, 2008, 1:08 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Need help! (kinda long) Can't Post

Ok, so I have a multitude of questions about a potential HT setup I’m going to purchase in the upcoming weeks. I’m still new to this stuff (in spite of the fact that I work at Best Buy!), so I’m at your mercy. First things first, I have narrowed my TV choices down to a Sony 40XBR6, the KDLW4100, or the KDLV4100 of the same brand. Granted, this is for my bedroom, so I don’t want anything too large. The XBR6 has the 10-bit processor, x.v.Color technology, and Dynamic Video Noise Reduction, but I don’t know what any of this means. The KDLW4100 seems to be, by and large, the same TV outside of the aforementioned specs. The x.v. is appealing, but from what I’ve read, I can’t expect it to be of much consequence over the next few years, unless I’m watching a blu-ray movie. I don’t know what the other two are, or what they do, so any input about them would be greatly appreciated. The KDLV4100 has half the processor speed, and I’m relatively certain 120hz is something I’d like to have, so that one is all but out of the running in my mind. However, if anyone has any pros/cons as to why I would or wouldn’t want 120hz, I’m definitely listening.

My primary use for this TV will be casual viewing; mostly sports, action movies, and the occasional video game (I’m not much of a gamer). I’ll probably bite the bullet and use it as a CPU monitor as well. I also plan on getting a receiver, surround sound, all that jazz, at a later point.
Any input is appreciated. Sorry this was so long!

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 10, 2008, 4:18 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sloanwi] Need help! (kinda long) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well listen carefully and hope you will feel reasonable what you spend your money when naked eyes seems to see no difference when compared side by side. Here's why, there are two models called XBR and BRAVIA-S. XBR is top of the line although Bravia share same specifications of the XBR. you may wonder, Is it the framing? or am i just going to pay for the XBR name you may ask?. Of course not!... it's got something to do with better technology and parts used in each sets. There are several different backlight technologies available for LCD screens. Bravia S uses CCFL ( COLD CATHODE FLOURESCENT LAMPS) which is an array of flourescent tubes stretching behind the length of the display. while the XBRs employs the better LED> LIGHT EMITTING DIODE where lights spread behind the display. LED lights can dim further than CCFL allowing for creation of blacker blacks and often faster response time. The switch to using array of LED lights also makes easier to dim sections evenly allowing the portrayal of dark shadows in corner of screens and bright sunlight in another.

As we moved on, the success of employing the LED methods of backlighting even further improved with the new XBR's lines as of now called RGB DYNAMICS LED. employing not just serve as backlight to the moving molecules of the LCD but also can create colors of red, green and blue to the projected signal along the screen. This allows more realistic reproduction than the normal CCFL. Also the ability to dim the backlight reduces power consumption in comparison to the CCFL. LED backlights also thinner and lighter than CCFL in the quest of water-thin displays. Now! you'll be your own judge if it's worth to you, the more expensive against the other.

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Nov 10, 2008, 4:19 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)