Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months!

benben1999
New User

Oct 5, 2006, 5:23 PM

Post #1 of 24 (6409 views)
Shortcut
PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! Can't Post

I bought a Winbook PowerSpec 30" Wide-Screen LCD-TV from MicroCenter in June 2005 and put it in the bedroom. I guess we used it less than 13 hours a week. Just a week ago, when I turned it on only to find out that the screen went black. I could still hear the sound and when I tried to change channel or source I could see the clear picture that stayed for only half a second. I didn't purchase the extended warranty from MicroCenter since I thought that LCD-TV would last longer than my conventional TV which I had been using extensively for 12 years before it broke. Beside, I have another 42" LCD-TV in my living room so I was not using the 30" that often. I did try to reset the TV to factory default settings yesterday after I unplugged the TV three days ago. It worked fine yesterday but this morning the same problem resurfaced again. I would appreciate if anyone could help me figure out what's wrong with my TV and what I should do. I couldn't believe such a high-tech LCD TV manufactured by PowerSpec and sold by MicroCenter could not last longer than a year and a half, just passed the one-year warranty period.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 6, 2006, 3:17 AM

Post #2 of 24 (6403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [benben1999] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

Call the manufacturer and only the manufacturer could fix this problem. Im pretty sure it's loose contact somewhere in the video cards such as COMPONENT INPUT, S-VIDEO, VGA or could be the TUNER section. Don't do LOCAL repair in this regard.... It passed the warranty period therefore it's a good condition unit still.

denonjp

gearguy
User

Oct 7, 2006, 3:20 AM

Post #3 of 24 (6393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [benben1999] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the world of modern consumer electronics. They aren't built as good as they used to be. Have you ried switching between the different inputs to see if it makes a change? Get in touch with the company and take the unit to one of their authorized service centers.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 7, 2006, 3:18 PM

Post #4 of 24 (6391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gearguy] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

Powerspec just riding thru the freedom of electronics. That doesn't mean, it's one of them considered MODERN?.... Not bec IKEA can duplicate a replica of an original. that doesn't mean it carries same price tag......You see! MODERN is quality, and it requires $$$$ but consumers disagree and prefers imitation. Do not generalize your phrase "They aren't built as good as they used to be". MODERNS are built to last!

denonjapan
made in japan

gearguy
User

Oct 8, 2006, 2:43 AM

Post #5 of 24 (6389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

You make absolutely no sense. Try learning to spell before making an argument.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 8, 2006, 6:09 AM

Post #6 of 24 (6386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gearguy] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

did you say learning? while im about to try? This is a forum, i would call, not an argument! if you can't take it! hide in a can!...having a POWERSPEC doesn't make you a gearguy! oh own one too if forgot!
denonjapan

gearguy
User

Oct 8, 2006, 12:48 PM

Post #7 of 24 (6380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't own a Powerspec you moron. Nowhere in this post did I ever claim to own a Powerspec. Nowhere in my name does it imply that I own a Powerspec. Again, learn english if you want to make a valid argument. Your incoherent babbling shows your true intelligence.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 8, 2006, 1:07 PM

Post #8 of 24 (6376 views)
Shortcut

GEARGUY! People do uncertain things for one reason!> PERSONAL ISSUES! < Im sorry! im not capable in that regard! if this makes me an incoherent! will you rather be the moron?

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Oct 12, 2006, 12:33 AM)

gearguy
User

Oct 8, 2006, 2:21 PM

Post #9 of 24 (6371 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
People do uncertain things for one reason!> PERSONAL ISSUES! < Im sorry! im not capable in that regard! if this makes me an incoherent! will you rather be the moron?

denonjapan
made in japan

Unsure

(This post was edited by gearguy on Nov 2, 2006, 3:36 AM)

benben1999
New User

Oct 9, 2006, 4:09 PM

Post #10 of 24 (6361 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your advice. I took the unit back to MicroCenter where I bought it yesterday. They are going to charge me USD$85 for the diagnosis plus the cost of the parts if needed. I had no choice but to agree with their charging policy. I paid almost USD$800 last year for the unit and I couldn't just let it go. I have a Samsung 15" LCD monitor for almost four years. I hope it dies so that I could have a reason to buy a larger, maybe 19", LCD monitor but it is still functioning perfectly even though it is used daily. The PowerSpec unit really disappoints me for its quality. BTW, I had tried everything I could do, which included unplugging and replugging all the cables, before I took it back. I'm not sure about other PowerSpec LCD TV. Maybe I just bought a lemon.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 12, 2006, 12:30 AM

Post #11 of 24 (6354 views)
Shortcut

Oftentimes, Consumers are the easiest bait from creative marketing tactics in which apprentice manufacturers competes with major brands to lure our ignorance (im thinking GEARGUY as an example!). Any respected retailers seems to have no clue of this situation that can ruin their reputations by offering hot ticketed products with unbeleivable prices to their costumers in which we are unaware to the forthcomings.For the most part: WE DON'T QUESTION WHY!!! A NEWLY DEVELOPED TECHNOLOGY, WHEN SONY OFFERS $2,700 FOR A 30INCH SCREENS. we always thought:" why go for SONY when OLEVIA, TRU-TEC, SYNTAX, POWERSPEC has $800.00 price tag of same screen?.........................................................
However, both parts ( Retailers and Consumer / especially the consumers) has it's own responsibility on this issues. Unwisely, we always took the wrong decisions cause if not! No one here end up sharing their grievances.......Hope MICRO CENTER isn't reading this and to those who bought same units cause I must tell you! YOU ARE VERY LUCKY!
For your future reference? With regards to your screen? Only your determination can measure if this lessons is worth all your effort if malfunctions STILL occur after it's service!...I Beleive you didn't bought a lemon. You didn't made a mistake.if not! you simply made a bad decision!

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Oct 12, 2006, 12:57 AM)

MOtvGuy
User

Oct 14, 2006, 1:18 AM

Post #12 of 24 (6341 views)
Shortcut

I think what denonjapan has been trying to say is

You get what you pay for.

benben1999
New User

Oct 30, 2006, 5:08 AM

Post #13 of 24 (6292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're totally right. But what about the Korean LCD TV like Samsung, LG or Daewoo? Are they no better than the Chinese ones or superior to the Japanese ones?

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 30, 2006, 7:55 AM

Post #14 of 24 (6287 views)
Shortcut

PANASONIC TC-32LX60 look no further by this model, Im afraid PANASONIC will conquer the LCD tech again! are you familiar with the store link below?
http://shop1.outpost.com/...:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Been there in IL. once, you will have lot of choices and by far the best retailer in IL.
denonjapan
made in japan

rrobor
Veteran

Oct 31, 2006, 9:53 AM

Post #15 of 24 (6274 views)
Shortcut

denonjapan it seems to me has issues , I advise you to forget what he tries to sell, like all all salesmen, he sells what makes him money, or what is phobia is, to jump on his waggon is a bumpy ride.

gearguy
User

Nov 2, 2006, 3:34 AM

Post #16 of 24 (6267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

All major electronic companies have problems with units from time to time. No matter how much you pay you can run into a bad line of units. Take the Toshiba DLP projection TV's for example. Bad lamps failing within the first week, light engines going out within the first year, fans going bad and making loud noises. I don't care what brand of TV you buy or how much you paid for it. It can have problems. To say you get what you pay for is a pretty ignorant statement. You pay $2400 for a TV and you think it won't have any problems? You have another thing coming. Denonjapan obviously knows nothing about electronics and the theory behind it. That's why his posts lowers the IQ of this board.

(This post was edited by gearguy on Nov 2, 2006, 3:37 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 2, 2006, 7:13 AM

Post #17 of 24 (6263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] PowerSpec 30" LCD TV developed problem after 16 months! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gearguy!Wink told you before! our electronics are not for everybody! if it weren't us?You are not here today talking about it!......Bear in mind! just like my hair straight? you can't say **** about me!.. I don't see your point with PHILLIPS techman(rrobr) giving advices when you both can't even resolve your own personal issues.....age gracefully ok?

denonjapan
nippon columbia
made in japan

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 2, 2006, 7:37 AM

Post #18 of 24 (6262 views)
Shortcut

And as for you RROBOR! you can't fix something it's not broken! and to modify something SHOULD work you didn't engineered.......While you still alive? go out and confess you lied on your degree of electronics, it's not too late?. whoever signed your diploma made a huge mistake. 'There's no old age to study" they say! YOU CAN'T BE A PRO BUT CONFUSED...............

denonjapan
made in japan> this LOGO means all your question! it's not an I.Q.

gearguy
User

Nov 2, 2006, 1:27 PM

Post #19 of 24 (6256 views)
Shortcut

I still have no idea what you are saying. Your english is about as good as your electronics. Keep writing though, you are doing a swell job of looking like an arse.
The sorry thing is that our graceful bombers didn't kill your parents and grandparents. Due to that, you were born and we have to put up with your stupidity here. As all victorious Americans know, that war didn't solve everything. Long Live Pearl Harbor!! By the way, I suggest you go out and see "Flags of Our Fathers." Pirate

(This post was edited by gearguy on Nov 2, 2006, 1:30 PM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 2, 2006, 2:26 PM

Post #20 of 24 (6250 views)
Shortcut

What ancient history has something to do with now? Are you saying the new generations of americans are proud what happened in IRAQ right now? What rights do one's have to attack simply bec. they hide a bomb? IRAQ barely has no trees at all to hide, and STILL you can't find ONE? so other countries too! why you didn't bomb them all?......Oh I see! THE OIL!

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Nov 2, 2006, 2:50 PM)

gearguy
User

Nov 2, 2006, 3:06 PM

Post #21 of 24 (6246 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
What ancient history has something to do with now? Are you saying the new generations of americans are proud what happened in IRAQ right now? What rights do one's have to attack simply bec. they hide a bomb? IRAQ barely has no trees at all to hide, and STILL you can't find ONE? so other countries too! why you didn't bomb them all?......Oh I see! THE OIL!

denonjapan
made in japan

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 2, 2006, 3:12 PM

Post #22 of 24 (6245 views)
Shortcut

i guessed so!Tongue

denonjapan
made in japan

ernie
User

Nov 2, 2006, 6:45 PM

Post #23 of 24 (6242 views)
Shortcut

sorry i dont have an answer for you i was wondering after reading all this rubbish on here if you ever did get an answer in the end

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 3, 2006, 2:39 AM

Post #24 of 24 (6237 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You're totally right. But what about the Korean LCD TV like Samsung, LG or Daewoo? Are they no better than the Chinese ones or superior to the Japanese ones?

Companies like Samsung, LG and to a lesser extent Daewoo actually have a history in the business and a reputation to uphold. Badged Chinese, Korean or Mexican sets by company XYZ don't. Therein lies the problem. What are you paying for when you spend the extra dollars for the name brand like Samsung? It's this:

Engineering.

Parts stock - You buy the badged foreign made LCD and it breaks and good luck getting parts.

Tech support - Samsung actually has a technical support staff to train techs to fix their sets. They have technical support staff along with pretty thorough manuals along with tech updates to keep the service side of the business abreast of what's going on with their products. The badged junk has NOTHING.

A reasonable customer service department that can help you with a problem. I can assure you the badged manufacturers don't really care.

All those things cost money, that's what you're paying for when you spend the extra dollars for the Samsungs or LG's.

(This post was edited by MOtvGuy on Nov 3, 2006, 2:40 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)