Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Power supply fried after installing new main board

sbutler17
New User

Oct 11, 2013, 2:45 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Power supply fried after installing new main board Can't Post

Hey folks! I am trying to salvage my dad's Seiki LC 32B56 TV that was flood damaged by Hurricane Sandy last year. It got some water in the bottom half of the TV, below the power supply board, but above the main board. After I got the TV dried out, I plugged it in and turned it on. It powered up briefly, actually got a picture on the screen momentarily, then died out. What then would happen is, when you plug it in a blue light would briefly light on one of the circuit boards, then it would fade out. The red standby power light on the front bezel would stay lit, but I could not get the TV to turn on again. After inspecting the boards, it appeared that the Main Board (with all the input ports) was in pretty bad shape, with a bit of corrosion. So, I ordered a new main board and installed it. This time, with the new main board installed, I plugged in the TV and the power supply board started crackling and smoking so I quickly unplugged it. Now the power board is fried, with at least 2 burnt out resistors. I am trying to understand why this would happen. I am considering replacing the power supply board, but don’t have the money to waste if it just fries up again. Why would the power supply fry after I installed this new main board? Thanks for reading!

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 11, 2013, 3:57 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sbutler17] Power supply fried after installing new main board [In reply to] Can't Post

One explanation would be that you obtained the 'New' main board from a seller who claimed they pulled it from a working unit with a broken screen and that it has been 100% tested ..... They lied.Crazy

Another explanation would be that the 'New' main board had one (or more) of it's connectors plugged in incorrectly or in the wrong spot(s).

Another explanation would be that the 'New' main board is NOT an exact match for the original.

Another explanation would be that you are just cursed.Laugh

Have a nice evening.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Oct 11, 2013, 4:04 AM)

sbutler17
New User

Oct 11, 2013, 4:07 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Power supply fried after installing new main board [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, both of those possibilities definitely crossed my mind. I am pretty confident all the connections were right - hard to screw that up :)

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 11, 2013, 5:53 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sbutler17] Power supply fried after installing new main board [In reply to] Can't Post

sbutler17;....

Another explanation would be that salt water from "Sandy" got into other parts & created a severe short circuit that you may never find...
Especially IF the water penetrated the LED panel...Frown...
Salt water is HIGHLY corrosive & once you have something electronic that gets wet with salt water , you need to flush it out with "fresh' water & dry it quickly & THOROUGHLY ...
There's NO guarantee that even if you do that , that the device will be saved..
Salt water damage can continue on even after flushing..
Methinks you best give the TV a pat on the backside & give it a nice sendoff to TV heaven...
That TV will never be the same...Unsure...
SORRY for the bad news...Crazy...

Later...Ron.M....Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

guesswhooo
New User

Oct 11, 2013, 6:24 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Power supply fried after installing new main board [In reply to] Can't Post

make sure is well done before eatingShocked

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)