Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Recently Bought My First LCD...not too happy...

Temporaryscars
New User

Oct 30, 2006, 6:20 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2297 views)
Shortcut
Recently Bought My First LCD...not too happy... Can't Post

This is the TV: http://www.circuitcity.com/...CT&cm_keycode=57

I thought it was going to be a good TV. All the reviews at CC, newegg, Amazon and Cnet said it was a great set that works great with an xbox 360. I was looking for something lighter than my CRT so I decided to go with it, since I have gone with Sharp TVs in the past. Then, I get it, hook up my 360, and start playing, and right away my heart sinks. This TV seriously suffers from a ghosting problem.

My question is, am I stuck with a crappy TV, or is it broken? I mean, after searching through these forums, I found that the LCD is made by some crappy company in Thailand (I wish somebody had mentioned that BEFORE I bought it in the reviews I read), so maybe it's just not a very good set. But then again, it had a 6ms response time! Should a TV with a 6ms response time have so much ghosting?

I wouldn't be so pissed if I had paid $800 or less for the thing, but I put a good chunk of change down on it. Has anyone had this set or know if my TV is crap or just broken?

MOtvGuy
User

Oct 31, 2006, 2:32 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Temporaryscars] Recently Bought My First LCD...not too happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pixel lag is one of the downsides of LCD TV's. They all experience it, some worse than others. A still image looks great, once it starts moving you get that blurring effect. I personally wouldn't buy a LCD TV for that reason. Too much image detail is lost once the image begins moving.

Temporaryscars
New User

Oct 31, 2006, 3:43 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Recently Bought My First LCD...not too happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Pixel lag is one of the downsides of LCD TV's. They all experience it, some worse than others. A still image looks great, once it starts moving you get that blurring effect. I personally wouldn't buy a LCD TV for that reason. Too much image detail is lost once the image begins moving.

See that's the thing. I've never had an LCD, so I don't know if it's the TV, or if a certain amount of ghosting is expected. But when I see people online talking about their TVs in reviews and such, they say there's zero ghosting, and it has me wondering, do they really mean zero ghosting, or do they mean zero superbad ghosting?

MOtvGuy
User

Oct 31, 2006, 12:02 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Temporaryscars] Recently Bought My First LCD...not too happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

I get the opportunity to see LCD TV's all day in my job, from the most expensive to the least. Anyone trying to claim they have zero lag time is kidding themselves and trying to play a game in their mind to justify the couple grand they just dropped on the set.

In order for the image to change, even minutely, the pixels on the Panel must twist. There's a lag time from the time they start to the time they finish. Often, in high detailed pictures that are experiencing a lot of movement, the pixels are never locked at all. They're constantly moving trying to keep up with the changes thus you get this blurry, out of focus image.

This is one of the inherit drawbacks of the technology. Some sets are better than others.

gearguy
User

Nov 2, 2006, 3:49 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Recently Bought My First LCD...not too happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's strange. We install LCD panels quite often and never have this ghosting problem. There is some "pixelization" that occurs on moving pictures but I wouldn't call it ghosting. Most of the time, we get ghosting when there is a severe impedance mismatch or bad cable.

Temporaryscars
New User

Nov 2, 2006, 7:57 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gearguy] Recently Bought My First LCD...not too happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's strange. We install LCD panels quite often and never have this ghosting problem. There is some "pixelization" that occurs on moving pictures but I wouldn't call it ghosting. Most of the time, we get ghosting when there is a severe impedance mismatch or bad cable.

So should I call Sharp and tell them about this? It's quite bad when I first turn my set on, and then it lessens after a while, but it's still there.

gearguy
User

Nov 2, 2006, 3:25 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

So should I call Sharp and tell them about this? It's quite bad when I first turn my set on, and then it lessens after a while, but it's still there.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)