Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Remote Channel Change Speed

JackB1
New User

Jan 19, 2014, 6:25 PM

Post #1 of 10 (5205 views)
Shortcut
Remote Channel Change Speed Can't Post

No one has been able to answer this question so thought I would try here. I replaced a small tube 15" TV in our bedroom. My wife is a big time channel surfer. The old TV would change channels instantly when using the remote. The new 19" Insignia TV has a 3 second lag and it is annoying and impossible to surf fast. The Best Buy rep said it was made by Samsung which convinced me to buy it plus it was on sale. I would buy the 19" Samsung if the channel lag problem could be resolved but salesman have no clue. Remotes cannot be tried out in stores because they run on a closed loop. I have chatted with Samsung online but I get obtuse answers like it is fast or it depends on strength of cable signal. The TV is hooked directly to our cable provider [no cable box]. I have tried a 42" Samsung in a local restaurant which they said was hooked up direct and it changes in a second yet I have neighbors with 42" TVs where the time lag is about 3 seconds. All are on the same cable provider. Is this remote channel lag time a function of the TV technology or something else that I am missing?

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 19, 2014, 8:07 PM

Post #2 of 10 (5204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JackB1] Remote Channel Change Speed [In reply to] Can't Post

JackB1;....

Methinks you are stuck with a slow responding TV....
It is designed by Insignia/Samsung to be that way...

I have a 32" Proscan that does the same thing...
But , my remote has an "enter" button that expedites channel selection & gets there QUICK !!!..
I would NOT recommend Proscan to my worst enemy because of the ROTTEN service you get from Curtis Int (the warranty company)..

I would suggest you take the Insignia back to Best Buy & exchange it for another TV that hopefully will be faster...
If not , swap that set for another till you get a fast switching set...
Best Buy soon will get the message that customers want to see how a set works ON the showroon floor..
You might get a salesman that will allow you try the remote there..

Good Luck...

Later...Ron.M....Cool..
Veteran & Retired TV technician

JackB1
New User

Jan 20, 2014, 2:38 AM

Post #3 of 10 (5197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Remote Channel Change Speed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. I figure I can keep the Insignia and put it in the guest room to replace another tube TV [our cable supplier Mediacom is going all digital in March and the old tube TVs will either require a digital box or a replacement] but want to be sure if I go to the trouble of purchasing another TV that it has a fast remote response. Is this remote speed something that is tied into some technology that they don't use in smaller price point units. Does the fact that I tried 2 42" TVs and one was fast response and the second slow mean that it is brand dependent. I also really need to clear up if the cable signal has anything to do with response time if the cable is a direct connection to the TV so I am not chasing something that does not exist.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 20, 2014, 6:43 PM

Post #4 of 10 (5192 views)
Shortcut

JackB1;....

want to be sure if I go to the trouble of purchasing another TV that it has a fast remote response.

Best way to do that would be to try the TV on the showroom floor..

Is this remote speed something that is tied into some technology that they don't use in smaller price point units.

Since I haven't purchased smaller TVs than a 32" , I'm not aware of that...
But , it is technology related even with the bigger TVs...
BTW:..It doesn't have anything to do with "remote" speed....
It has to do with the microprocessor..
And the way it's programmed....

Does the fact that I tried 2 42" TVs and one was fast response and the second slow mean that it is brand dependent.

Not necessarily true...
Some brands , yes...
Some brands , no...
It has to do with what the manufacturer designs into the TV in the way of features & performance
of those features..

I also really need to clear up if the cable signal has anything to do with response time if the cable is a direct connection to the TV so I am not chasing something that does not exist.

Unless you are using the cable box to change the channels with , it does not...
If you are using the TV's tuner to change channels with , it IS the TV that is slow changing channels & NOT the cable box...

Hope this helps...

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jan 20, 2014, 6:46 PM)

JackB1
New User

Jan 20, 2014, 7:44 PM

Post #5 of 10 (5188 views)
Shortcut

Thanks again Ron. I would love to try out the remotes on the showroom floor but that is the problem. It is not possible to do as I mentioned above. All the TVs in the stores are showing the same closed loop DVD. Great for comparing picture quality but lousy for finding how the channel changing speeds compare. You can't use the remotes in the stores.Frown I am surprised someone has not done a comparison on this issue. I am surprised how many people I have met that are frustrated with the slow channel response time.
I see you are retired from TV repair. There was just an article in recent magazine alluding to the fact that manufacturers don't provide schematics anymore. They referenced some of these new TVs where a bad capacitor causes the TV to be trashed because, while the capacitor is cheap, there is no schematic to facilitate repair. I am beginning to love my old Sony 32" tube flat screen.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 20, 2014, 9:23 PM

Post #6 of 10 (5184 views)
Shortcut

JackB1;....

I do NOT repair LED/LCD or Plasma TVs...
A lot of the new sets on the market nowadays is PURE , out & out JUNK !!!
I decided long ago that this old dog wasn't ready for new tricks & retired..
Some of the reasons are crappy service manuals , little or NO parts available , some of the parts are hugely expensive & some manufacturers give crappy in-warranty service , etc , etc..
NOTHING like the GREAT service & part availability from the CRT TV manufacturers of ye old days..
Due to the attitude of this new breed of TV manufacturers (MOST being CHINESE !!!) a HUGE number of these sets are filling up landfills & could be salvaged IF parts & DECENT service manuals were available..
And a HUGE waste of electronic materials & landfill space...
Not to mention a waste of hard earned money from the consumer..

You'll find that the life expectancy of the older CRT TVs is WAAAAYYY LOONNNGGGEEERR than these new sets...

BTW:...
May I suggest;...
When you go shopping for a new TV , try changing the channels on the showroom TV using the buttons ON the side or bottom of the TV..
IF & when someone approaches you & asks what the hell you are doing , tell him/her that you are looking for a FAST channel changing TV...
IF they are interested in selling you a TV , they should be able to accommodate your wishes & show you how fast/slow some of the TV are...
IF not , tell them you are going to go to another store that does...
That may irritate their hemorrhoids enough to do something about it..Sly....

Have fun with that....Wink..

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jan 20, 2014, 9:31 PM)

JackB1
New User

Jan 21, 2014, 1:26 AM

Post #7 of 10 (5180 views)
Shortcut

Ron, If the TVs in the store are running on a closed loop from a DVD player are there any channels to change?

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 21, 2014, 2:13 AM

Post #8 of 10 (5177 views)
Shortcut

JackB1;.....

No , I guess not...

Then I would get ahold of a knowlegeable sales rep & ask him/her to take it off the DVD input & try changing channels that way..
Even if they do not have antenna/cable instore , you might be able to get a handle on how fast the TV is responding to a channel change...

Otherwise , your stuck with trial & error , that is to say , buy , try & if slow , swap for another TV..

Good Luck....

Later...Ron.M....Cool..

Roosevelt
New User

Mar 12, 2014, 1:50 PM

Post #9 of 10 (5108 views)
Shortcut

We also use to have an Insignia TV few years back and it has the same problem. I am not sure if there is any issue with your remote, your TV has this issue and I am not sure you will find any solution for it other than to replace your TV and make sure to check this thing when you buy the new one.

JackB1
New User

Mar 12, 2014, 7:35 PM

Post #10 of 10 (5086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roosevelt] Remote Channel Change Speed [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a return visit to Best Buy and collected 3 of the top TV gurus in the store. They felt that by manually [using buttons on TV, not remote] I could get an idea of how fast the Samsung switched channels compared to the Insignia. It did appear to change a little faster but still not as fast as my analog. I could have bought the Samsung and then returned it if it did not change faster than the insignia but I was just not in the mood for the hassle at the time. We are now getting ready to deal with our cable supplier going all digital and having to use digital adapters on my older Sony flat screen with PIP. That Sony is one of the best TVs I have ever owned and I like PIP. The adapters, not hooked up yet, came with a cheap remote and it will be interesting to see how much pain I will endure using PIP.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)