Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Semi-dead Sceptre LCD HDTV

TedStriker
New User

Nov 6, 2013, 1:13 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3249 views)
Shortcut
Semi-dead Sceptre LCD HDTV Can't Post

I have this Sceptre that's still barely under warranty and I'm about to send back for service, but I'd like to get a better understanding of what's going on with it before I talk to their people anymore. They've been extremely shady with me, I think they're even trying to ride out the warranty time because I still haven't gotten the box after two weeks, they said there was a delay because they ran out of boxes. Sure.

Anyway, the thing looks to turn on, the blue power button on front comes on, but there's no picture or sound. And once it's "on", as in the blue light, it won't turn off unless you unplug it.

When I first contacted their customer support about this they said to unplug it over night. That worked, and they said everything should be fine. But I think they knew it wasn't, and it sure enough went out again the next day and I set up the service.

Since then I've actually been able to turn it on a few times and watch TV, but that involved jiggling the power cord around where it plugs into the set and eventually finding some sweet spot. That stopped working though.

I've read about some issues these TVs have with their power supply, but would a dead power supply be able to kick on just by jiggling the cord?

Also, it's not the cord, I tried another one, but of course it couldn't be anything THAT simple.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 6, 2013, 9:24 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TedStriker] Semi-dead Sceptre LCD HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

A bad solder connection that gets jostled when you flex cord / board where cord connects - 'could' be THAT simple.Cool

-------------------------

drakulina
New User

May 26, 2015, 7:32 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TedStriker] Semi-dead Sceptre LCD HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

Your main board has a bad solder.
I did one last night. Remove the T.RSC8 board and preheat the oven to 350 F (~ 180 C). Place the board on a baking sheet (so that it does not touch metal) and leave it in the oven for 7 minutes. Leave it to cool in the oven for one hour (door closed).
Re-install after. Look on youtube for 'board reflow'. Keep an eye on the caps not to bulge too much.

The pro fix would be to reball the CPU and install it again on the board.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)