Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Sony KLA-S40A10 Backlight and sound only

MikeyBoy
New User

Jul 5, 2013, 4:09 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Sony KLA-S40A10 Backlight and sound only Can't Post

Hello, Just want to mention that this site is great. I've been looking for help for a while to fix my older LCD TV. I stumbled on this site/forums and started reading, and I figured I'd like to ask the pro's a few questions.

I've got a Sony KLV-S40A10, Worked great for a few years then all of a sudden the picture stopped coming up.

I can hear clicks and stuff when I plug it in. I press the power button and I can hear more clicks, I can see a backlight come up. but thats all. I can hear sounds too. Like if I scroll through the Video displays, (cable, HDMI 1, HDMI 2 , Component etc) I can hear the static sounds like when your on Channel 3 coaxial input. But don't see the snow storm. I"ve held up a flashlight to the screen( I've read to do that to see if you might see some screen movements) but don't see squat. I turn the power off and see the backlight turn off.

I've have a little bit of electronic know how. But not that much. I've taken it upon myself to try to fix up this unit so I have a cottage tv.

I've taken off the back panel to inspect the boards looking for bad caps etc. and have found nothing. I'm going to assume the power supply board is ok, because I can hear it functioning with clicks and also getting sound. I'm thinking it's either the Tcon board or the inverters are gone.

Can a pro help me figure this out. THanks so much..

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 5, 2013, 10:17 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeyBoy] Sony KLA-S40A10 Backlight and sound only [In reply to] Can't Post

I can hear sounds too. Like if I scroll through the Video displays, (cable, HDMI 1, HDMI 2 , Component etc) I can hear the static sounds like when your on Channel 3 coaxial input. But don't see the snow storm.

But do you hear the 'intelligent audio' from the station(s) tuned in by the cable box when its connected? The Playstation when connected to a HDMI port? etc..? Unsure

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)