Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
TV audio-out dilemma

mike T
New User

Dec 1, 2008, 8:32 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1924 views)
Shortcut
TV audio-out dilemma Can't Post

I just bought a Samsung 23" TV/Monitor. The only audio-out on the TV is an optical port. Is this Toslink? I use it for over-the-air reception so I don't have a cable box or anything that can act as a junction for connections. I wanted to hook up the audio from the audio optical-out to a mini-shelf stereo system's (that I haven't purchased yet) auxiliary input. Unless it's a sophisticated system, most smaller stereo/CD systems have a single audio input jack or the red/white combo jacks. Soooo, my question is this- can I use the following adapter/cable to achieve this: http://www.jaycar.com.au/...iceMax=&SUBCATID=
I also found this adapter: http://www.greennet.ca/...rrency=USD&ref=3
I do not want to spend the money on a fancy home-theater system. The space I'm working with fits a simple 2-speaker shelf stereo better anyway. Before I buy a shelf stereo for this purpose, I want to make sure I can run the TV sound through it using one of the above adapters.
Please advise!

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 2, 2008, 1:45 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mike T] TV audio-out dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

Toslink is connector format for fiber optic digital audio cables. which carries audio data in the form of light impulses instead of electrical signals.It can be found of newer dolby digital surround sound receivers, dvd players, compact disc players and other digital sources into digital recorders such as DAT, CD RECORDER, BLU RAY RECORDER Etc. The other is COXIAL OPTICAL is another fiber optic digital audio format similar to toslink. There are adapters available to convert toslink plug into miniplug. Mainly these input, output are for digital recordings.
The question now is this:> Is there any mini component around with this input? I suggest look for YAMAHA mini system offerings as they have various system from the past like the Classic line CL-1. goodluck!
denonjapan
made in japan

mike T
New User

Dec 2, 2008, 3:01 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] TV audio-out dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I found several systems with the mini input. So I guess all I need is to get an adapter for the Toslink optical that comes out of my TV. I'm sure there will be a loss of quality compared to an optical to optical connection. But that's OK- I just want to get the sound to come out of decent speakers instead of the built in one with the TV. Thanks again, Mike

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)