USA LCD HDTV - UK Compatibility

admeads
New User

Mar 4, 2007, 4:52 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2351 views)
Shortcut
USA LCD HDTV - UK Compatibility Can't Post

Hi!

I have just moved to the USA for 3 years. I would like to buy a 37" LCD HDTV. I would like to take it back to my home in the UK in 3 years time, so I would like to find a TV that is 'compatible' with the UK's PAL system.

I know that the tuner won't work - I would connect the TV to a cable or satellite decoder. I have found that some TVs have 110 - 240v / 50-60Hz input, so I know that I could plug it in in the UK, but I can't find any information on whether a TV would accept the PAL TV format (625 lines @ 50Hz).

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks.

techchris
Veteran

Mar 4, 2007, 4:55 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [admeads] USA LCD HDTV - UK Compatibility [In reply to] Can't Post

by the time you get back to the UK in 3 years that tv will be obsolete so dont worry about it.

admeads
New User

Mar 4, 2007, 5:06 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] USA LCD HDTV - UK Compatibility [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have anticipated this reply!

But what if I did take it back with me???!

techchris
Veteran

Mar 4, 2007, 5:18 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2340 views)
Shortcut

most European tv's are reprogrammable in the service menu options for different countries but I have never seen an ntsc tv which worked in Europe. dont forget that to most Americans the world only stretches from LA to New York!!

denonjapan
Veteran

Mar 26, 2007, 12:52 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2317 views)
Shortcut

That's a good idea, and you are very smart shopper I MUST say!, why would you spend that kind of money in Europe when you can buy it in half without VAT, in U.S.? A 200+ VAT British pounds is $400 in U.S. which you won't pay that much tax there. If you are worried about regional compliance , get a Professional LCD monitor and will guarrantee. You won't be ending up like RROBOR re-experimenting an invalid modifications.

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on May 5, 2007, 4:16 PM)

rrobor
Veteran

Apr 27, 2007, 8:21 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Have done one for a friend, we got a modified tuner for $100 from a UK firm and used a set top box. He had 240 to 110V transformers so all was well with power, It was hard to set up but several hours later the thing worked. After 4 months he has ditched it, it was just too complicated and too many bits, if you hit the wrong button it could take an hour to rectify so dont do it, the thing fails in UK its history, no parts and no info, no one would touch it for a repair, and conversions drop the quality of your picture, ony a person who had not truly investigated the situation would do this. When I left UK I sold my TV, I advise you to do the same in reverse. As for VAT didnt USA invent that as state sales tax ? you dont pay twice in the UK so dont talk as if this is a plus.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)