Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Vizio E552VL HDMI Question

Anony55
New User

Oct 8, 2013, 9:39 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1800 views)
Shortcut
Vizio E552VL HDMI Question Can't Post

I am thinking about repairing my 55" Vizio, and was looking for opinions about the project.

A few months ago, I'm pretty sure that my Vizio model E552VL took a power surge (lightning). The resulting condition is that 2 of the 4 HDMI ports no longer work. In fact, those 2 working ports will quit working if you attempt to connect a third HDMI item. Also, the component & composite ports work.

The TV is also a WiFi smart TV, but since I don't have high speed at the house, I don't have a way to test that. Now that enough time has passed, there may even be a slight "brightness" issue developing with the set during darker scenes. However, I'm not sure about that 100%. It just seems that I am getting some brightness behaviour that I didn't get before.

Here's what I need advice on...

1) Am I correct in thinking that the main PCB is what needs to be replaced? (That is where the HDMI ports are mounted)

2) If yes to 1, will a straight replacement of the main board be good enough, or will there be industry secret configurations & calibrations to be performed?

3) Are there any other questions that I'm not asking that the professional TV repair man might want me to know the answers to (meaning, am I not asking something that I should be)?

I have a lot of experience replacing PC boards in other high end equipment. I'm comfortable with delicate parts and connections. I have all that's needed for ESD awareness. I also am not afraid of trying things. However, I have no experience replacing boards in LCD TVs. So while I possess the basic skills, I lack knowledge where large LCDs are concerned.

If the main board is the problem, I can get it from Sears Parts Direct for $130 (unknown shipping amount). If I can do the job myself, that's an acceptable amount. I'm flat out not gonna spend 400 bucks having this thing repaired... especially since it works to the degree that it still does.

Anyway, I will appreciate any and all advice from guys who know about this stuff.

Cheers

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)