Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture

bdtprez
New User

Oct 17, 2011, 4:38 AM

Post #1 of 12 (19436 views)
Shortcut
Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture Can't Post

I have a Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A which would seem to power on (Vizio standby light on front changes from amber to white) but no picture or sound. After a visual inspection, the power supply board (0500-0510-0340) had visibly overheated, burnt resistors in the secondary side, so much so that the traces had lifted from the rear of the board. After replacing the psu with a new unit, I still had the same results. I can hear a relay click "on" and the power light changes, but no picture/sound. After taking some measurements, I feared that the failing PSU had also taken out the main board (3647-0082-0150 (5a)) as well. I replaced the main board and still have the same results! I don’t think it is an inverter/backlight problem because even with a flashlight we can see no picture at all on the screen. I have also tried removing the audio board as a source of the problem. Before I throw any more parts at this (what else could there be?) , does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 17, 2011, 5:29 AM

Post #2 of 12 (19432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bdtprez] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Beware that used boards that seller claims are "100% fully tested, pulled from an otherwise working, broken panel TV" could be bad. Remember people "lie."Wink

-------------------------

Ram Rod
New User

Oct 22, 2011, 8:54 PM

Post #3 of 12 (19405 views)
Shortcut

I just finished fixing a 32" Vizio with similar problem. One of the backlight inverter transformers was bad. Little secret I've found out....always search for replacement boards by their number. Some other brand TVs use the same boards as Vizio in some models. If you find a Vizio replacement it will cost you more. A Protron part worked for mine.

bdtprez
New User

Oct 26, 2011, 7:16 AM

Post #4 of 12 (19374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ram Rod] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

ive tried unplugging the inverter boards one-by-one and still get the same issue. If one was bad shouldnt the other one work by itself? how did you test your inverter xformers? Thank you!

Ram Rod
New User

Oct 26, 2011, 4:21 PM

Post #5 of 12 (19371 views)
Shortcut

I used an ohm meter to check mine. I also found visible tracking on the traces near the primary leads. The one I replaced was in an L32.....just one inverter board. Other units have master and slave inverter boards. Not sure if one would work without the other. Electronics and circuitry are funny that way, they work how the engineer designed them. Sometimes a control board will need to see a certain load on peripherals before it will switch them on, or switch them on then off so quickly you can miss it with the blink of an eye. If there is a no-load or an overload, it might not even do it at all.
As was pointed out in a previous post, used boards are used boards. Don't forget you need some sort of input even for simple audio. I know you know that. Therefore, if you have an input and no sound OR audio, it may likely be the main board. The power board generally only sends the correct voltages to the main, then the main switches and distributes, and sometimes feeds back to the power board depending. Good test equipment is key, and many times you'll need to test live circuits to know.
I'm working on an LG right now, and one of the disc capacitors shows to be good when dead. Applying voltage however and there is voltage going in but not coming out. Wish I had the magic answer. I have had good luck with the Vizios. I have a Sony Bravia LCD that's kicking my butt so I've let it sit for a while and gone to work on others. Some are easy fixes and some are not. At the current prices of refurbs and some of the open box specials out there, one shouldn't invest too much on parts to fix. The people who know this more than anyone else are the folks that I buy dead TVs from. I keep track of the numbers on each and every one I buy/fix. My top dollar spent thus far was to get a dead VW42L FHDTV10A working for a total of $138.45 and I figure that close to half price of a refurb.
Watch out! Wally World is taking trade-ins on electronics now. Not sure of the stipulations, but not sure I care.
Best of luck to you in your endeavors. DIY does have it's rewards whether it come in the form of a completed task, kudos for the attempt, or an invaluable education. There is seldom failure with DIY. Just remember that. Most won't even make the attempt so you may consider yourself way above average.

wishmeluck01
New User

Apr 22, 2012, 2:54 AM

Post #6 of 12 (18422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ram Rod] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 47" Vizio, that has no picture or sound; does it matter when replacing parts with Protron that the two TV's might not be the same size?

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 22, 2012, 3:00 AM

Post #7 of 12 (18421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmeluck01] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

The third sentence of Ram Rod's first post on this thread says it all.

-------------------------

okelectronicsva
New User

Apr 22, 2012, 3:46 PM

Post #8 of 12 (18417 views)
Shortcut

Vizio have had global problems with capacitors they used on their powerboards across models, they go bad either leaking electrolyte of ballooning due to overstress on the dielectric inside.
The solution is to replace these capacitors with better quality ones available from any good electronics store

Another alternatives but obviously more expensive is to change the board, let me know if you wish to go this route and I will try and locate the powerboard for you, very easy to replace just some screws holding it to the chassis and plugs and sockets.

Please let me know if you need more info

Many Thanks
Carey
Smile
http://www.richmondtvrepairs.com/

wishmeluck01
New User

May 9, 2012, 11:51 PM

Post #9 of 12 (18307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [okelectronicsva] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

I am happy to say that my 47' Vizio is repaired. Thought I could do it myself, but decided to let the experts do what they do. The TV had turned on but had no picture or sound, come to find out according to the repairman the main board and capacitor had to be replace. Total cost $235.00 I'm glad it's done, my TV is back up on the living room wall.

okelectronicsva
New User

May 10, 2012, 12:35 AM

Post #10 of 12 (18302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmeluck01] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Good to know that you have you have your TV back.. If you have any problems regarding your television or any other appliances and electronics, don't hesitate to pm me or visit me in my site.. or even send me email. I am very much willing to help other people Smile

flake
New User

May 17, 2012, 4:36 PM

Post #11 of 12 (18263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [okelectronicsva] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds interesting, all the above participants perform well and expose their idea very well...
Hope its clear and no need to further elaborate it...Keep it up buddy.

okelectronicsva
New User

May 19, 2012, 12:08 AM

Post #12 of 12 (18246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flake] Vizio VO47L FHDTV10A no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

me too :) It really makes me so happy to know that people are still active in here and are still eager to help each and everyone in repairing broken TV. Angelic

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)