Black Vertical Lines on Sony PDM4200

Jerk
New User

Jan 9, 2009, 4:22 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5259 views)
Shortcut
Black Vertical Lines on Sony PDM4200 Can't Post

hi all here

i have a sony pdm-4200 plasma 42 inch tv since 2004.

it had now four black vertical lines going through the screen about one inch each. Does anyone knows were the problem come from?

thanks a lot for any help

Jerk

techman540
User

Jan 9, 2009, 5:41 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jerk] Black Vertical Lines on Sony PDM4200 [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they scroll? Are they transparent? Can you describe them more...

Motosat dealer
RV Internet

Jerk
New User

Jan 9, 2009, 8:00 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techman540] Black Vertical Lines on Sony PDM4200 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi techman540 !
Thanks for your questions. No, they don't scroll, they are completely black except one on them that can can see also 3 lines about 1 mm one red one green and one blue.
Thank you for your Help

Jerk

techchris
Veteran

Jan 9, 2009, 1:38 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5247 views)
Shortcut

change the picture to 4:3 aspect.if the lines stay in the same place then the Plasma panel is probably croaked so the tv will be history. if they move the fault is elsewhere.either way 5 years is a good lifespan for a flat screen tv so it wouldn't be worth spending a ton of money on it.

Jerk
New User

Jan 9, 2009, 2:34 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Black Vertical Lines on Sony PDM4200 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks my friend techchris,

Today I decide to open and check it by my self and I believe that you right... (the tv will be history) and the reason is because i found this.

From the Screen (glass) it comes a flat cable, you can see in the picture seems glued at the surface or may be from inside I don't know exactly.

I can't take it out. I use a Multimeter to check it and I found in a good one about 10 Ohms from the center to the end left and from the center to the end right the same value. In a bad one I have open circuit to the end of one of the sides.

I feel strange something, you can see on hat flat cable a small black thing like a magnetic peace and the heatsink just touch that piece. In fact I don't know what it is...

see the pics please.

On the other side i check how to replace that flat cable but i couldn't see how..? Seems the end of this Plasma. I feel pain because is Lifetime should be about 60.000 hours and in fact is may be now about 10.000 hours...

Thanks to all of you and Happy 2009.

techchris
Veteran

Jan 9, 2009, 4:55 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5240 views)
Shortcut

there are microchips built into the ribbon which supply drive signals to the screen.unfortunately they are attached and cannot be changed. you have to replace the screen.

Jerk
New User

Jan 10, 2009, 4:51 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Black Vertical Lines on Sony PDM4200 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yerp. Thanks, I have check at NEC and it goes around US 1,7 K. Buy a new set it will be better, but before place this old one in the rubbish, I am going to do this, may it works again... Joke
Watch this Videoclip:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykPsV2voYU

Jerk

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)