Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Breaking in a plasma TV?

dkplayaclub
New User

Nov 19, 2011, 5:09 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1774 views)
Shortcut
Breaking in a plasma TV? Can't Post

I recently purchased a Zenith 50' plasma TV and I must say, it was a massive improvement over my old 27' CRT. The day I brought it home I hooked my PC up to it, thinking I could watch all the content on my HDD on the big screen, but after only about 5 minutes if sitting on the desktop, I could clearly see the wallpaper image on the screen, even when it was off. After reading some articles on burn in I decided to watch a variety of things at lower brightness and contrast in order to break it in (including 20-30 minutes of "snow" after every use). After a few days, the desktop picture faded, but I became more and more careful of static images, as they seemed to get "retained" very easily.

Now, after about a month of paranoia and cautious use, it seems the image retention is less likely to happen, and leaving the screen on static for a while wipes the IR from the screen a lot faster (20-30 minutes does it now, as opposed to a few days worth of watching).

My question is this : "When am I safe from IR and burn-in" or "How do I know my plasma is fully broken in"? I eventually want to use this TV as a monitor for my second PC in the living room, but I want to make sure it's fully broken in and safe first.

Sorry so long winded, but any help would be appreciated. What am I looking for here? Should I get a break in DVD? Will I get to a point where the IR no longer happens? Does a PC signal affect the screen differently than a television signal?

Thanks,

techchris
Veteran

Nov 19, 2011, 5:22 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dkplayaclub] Breaking in a plasma TV? [In reply to] Can't Post

personally, I would not use a plasma screen for any static images from any source

okidoqui
User

Nov 19, 2012, 10:27 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Breaking in a plasma TV? [In reply to] Can't Post

Plasma and LCD both are great. However, if I have to buy from one both kind of TVs, then I would go with LCD TV.
Plasma or LCD

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)