Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
COMCAST HD BOX AND PANASONIC TV

tazman19
New User

Dec 5, 2004, 5:09 AM

Post #1 of 1 (5380 views)
Shortcut
COMCAST HD BOX AND PANASONIC TV Can't Post

Need some help. I was at Best Buy this evening and was very intrigued by the crystal clear picture on the 37' Panasonic plasma EDTV. I just cant see spending 2-3 grand more for the upgrade to HDTV. Anyway, the resolution is 852x480. Now, I found out that the TV itself will not downgrade a 720 HDTV signal. I have Comcast as my cable company and with the HD box that they provide, which I cannot find any details on, if I connect with a composite video cable, will the HD box downgrade that signal ? Or will I get the dreaded black screen ? The salesman at BestBuy said it would all depend on the HD box that Comcast provides.

The below is the comment off the Comcast web site. Sounds like their box will downconvert a 720 signal. Does anyone know what the majority of Comcast HD programming is in ? I know that ESPN HD is 720 and not 1080. How do I know what format to set the cable box to?

The position of the switch really depends on your set.

The Native position will attempt to display whatever format is received. However, most HD televisions do not support all formats, so the "Native" position will likely not work for all channels and programs.

Most sets support either 480p or 720p, but usually not both. Whichever one your set supports will work for most programs. On these settings, however, a 1080i HD program will not be decoded properly and you will likely get a black screen or severe digital break-up.

True HD televisions support 1080i, and this setting will display all channels, although standard definition programs will not fill the entire screen.

You can experiment with different switch positions to determine your preferred setting. Also, refer to your television Owner's Guide for more information

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide to help me make this important decision.

(This post was edited by tazman19 on Dec 5, 2004, 3:09 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)