Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Color too Dark

zarzycki
New User

Jan 31, 2006, 4:04 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Color too Dark Can't Post

I just bought a new Panasonic TH42PX50U which I understand is one of the best 42 inch plasma's out there. My probelm is I think the picture is unreal but it seems to dark to me. If a guy is in a bar with a black tie and subtle yellow stripes, you can't see the yellow stripes. But you can see them on our junky old 27 inch. Anyone wearing black looks like they are just too dark and african americans are really tough to see. Their facial features are so dark. Is this normal or what? I have played with the colors and all the settings and even with them all the way up it is still darker then normal to me. It does seem realistic but too dark. Do I take this back or no?

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 1, 2006, 7:36 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zarzycki] Color too Dark [In reply to] Can't Post

if the picture is dark from the video being fed, while your analog tv displays better?..that means! Youre watching from original analog recording best for analog television, from which digital television poorly downconverting it. TV equals = RESOLUTION, While PLASMA versus PIXELS. get the picture?

denonjapan

made in japan

zarzycki
New User

Feb 1, 2006, 4:06 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Color too Dark [In reply to] Can't Post

You will have to bear with me, I am not fully understanding your response. Does it matter that I have digital cable going into the Plasma and regular old cable going into my old TV? I can't tell if you are saying this is normal or not? Can you clarify for me. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

denonjapan
Veteran

Feb 2, 2006, 2:00 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zarzycki] Color too Dark [In reply to] Can't Post

to cut long story short, the movie (or video) you're comparing early on,between your plasma and your quote "cheap tv". As far as why Picture looks better on the ANALOG TV than your PLASMA ? > is bec. the movie simply wasn't recorded digitally. it doesn't matter whether you have digital cable feed to your plasma, when the materials you're watching are enhanced from analog recording.

Therefore your cheap tv (analog) seems to look better cause the movie is analog recording itself. It is best fit to analog tv rather than watching in a PLASMA.

You said "Does it matter that I have digital cable going into the Plasma and regular old cable going into my old TV? I can't tell if you are saying this is normal or not?

ANSWER> Im assuming that thru your hi-def receiver, a COMPONENT output connected to your plasma and RCA outputed to your analog TV. Is this way you made your comparisons? if so! it doesn't matter!. It's the resolution of the movie you made the comparison from. if you ask me if it's normal? No it's REALITY!

denonjapan

made in japan

zarzycki
New User

Feb 2, 2006, 3:52 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Color too Dark [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I see what you are saying. I actually do not have the HD rec yet. The cable company has it shipped to me but it isn't here yet. So I have digital cable going into the plasma from the digital set top terminal and my "old" tv hooked in with non-digital cable upstairs. We were watching a sitcom on CBS when we noticed the difference. I think it may be certain shows too. We were watching Friends and it looked fine then another sitcom came on tonight and all of a sudden the picture got darker. It seems like maybe the studio was darker where they were filming or something but I think I see what you are saying in that some shows aren't broadcast digitally and they won't look as good on the plasma. When the HD gets here that will be great except the fact that we only get 6 HD channels!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)